Gibson Brands Forums

The Perfect Mate for a Pair of Old Gibsons....

zombywoof

...an even older steel body guitar. Picked this Duolian up recently but am now one mandolin, a lap steel and an amp lighter.

Loud, percussive and trashy sounding.

Looks black in the pics but it is actually a very dark mahogany color. Got a gig coming up next week and this one is a going. I never really know if a guitar is a keeper or not until I see how it handles itself.

004.jpg

I played an old National Style O back in the 1970s and have always missed it. I had run across several Triolians in the past couple of years but was holding out for a Duolian or Style O.

The National I just scored was made in 1931 or 1932 (based the stamped headstock logo) and I think that wood grain finish came later. Most of the Dulions made up to 1937 had that crystalline, frosted look finish. Mine is just a flat color so the body may have been repainted although the brown paint on the cover is original. But I think the color looks cool - it really does make the guitar look nasty. And it ain't like I need to worry about the finish affecting the sound or anything. The neck is straight and the price tag a bargain so what else was a poor boy to do.

Every guitar player' date=' imho, needs a resonator.[/quote']

I know that I've certainly enjoyed owning mine. I purchased a J-35 reissue from Fullers and just never really hit if off with that particular guitar. I ended up trading it back to them for a National Vintage Steel Delphi. While I might go for long periods of time without playing the National, I'm so glad to have it every time I do end up playing around with it. I've never regretted that trade. (And I'm guessing that someone was thrilled to end up with the J-35.)

All the best,

Guth

Back in the 1960s I tried playing one of those old Gibson harp guitars. It was hanging on the wall of a local Mom & Pop music store pretty much as a decoration and I talked them into selling it to me. I never could make peace with that thing although it certainly did look cool.

Archived