Gibson Brands Forums

LP Specials & Juniors...Single and Double Cut..Faded or Otherwise!

charlie brown

CB can yoy give me the differences between the special and the lites.

Thx

Sure...

(Stock) LP Faded Special: 2 P-90's, ultra thin nitro paint (TV Yellow, in this case), single layer pickguard,

and dot markers on fingerboard.

(Stock) LP Junior Lite: 2 P-100's (stacked humbucker, in P-90 configuration), multi-layered nitro paint, multi-layered

pickguard, min-trapezoid fingerboard markers.

MY guitars, have all been modified, slightly, from "Stock." The Faded TV Yellow Special, has had a multi-layered

pickguad added, grover tuners, and a '59 truss rod cover. Just for my own preferences, and NOT because

there was anything wrong, with the stock tuners or other appointments.

The two Junior Lites, have had TP-6 tailpieces added, in place of the stock Stop Bar, and Gibson Tulip tuners,

in place of the stock butter bean (white plastic keys) tuners. Again, for personal preference, not due to any

problems, with the stock appointments. The Black one, was (obviously) done in "Gold!" I had intended that,

when I bought it. Otherwise, they are "stock," in electronics, and pickups. The Junior Lite P-100's, are a nice

cross (in tone) of a P-90 and Mini-Humbucker. They can have a somewhat Telecaster "twang," too...if needed.

But, if you're after traditional P-90 tone, you'll need those pickups. The P-100's were much maligned, when

they came out, as NOT being P-90 enough, in tone. I like the P-100's, for their own tone. I have (several) P-90

equipped guitars, and 3 mini-humbucker guitars, too. So, the P-100's (for me) are a nice change, tonally.

Hope that helps, some?

CB

Someone offered to sell me a used Gibson 2001 Les Paul Special - stock P100s, no natural finish. It needs new strings and a setup, the intonation is off and it could stay in tune better - but the neck feels very comfortable and I like the weight. It has a fair amt. of minor dings & buckle rash from onstage use but nothing major. I imagined I would decide to switch the pickups for real P90s.

I've been trying to read about these guitars online and am having trouble figuring out what they're worth. As far as I could tell, they went anywhere from $650 to $800 new in the US ( I saw a few outliers like $500 closeout). He's asking for 500 now. Is that a reasonable used price? Thanks.

What exactly does "no natural finish" mean?

I'd try to knock it down another $100, unless it's not as nice as I'm imagining. The intonation and setup are meaningless, since both will have to be changed with a new set of strings. The tuning issues could very well be because of the strings.

Anyone ever hear of a Les Paul Jr. Special Plus' date=' with two humbuckers, a belly cut, and a AA figured red or amber flat top?[/quote']

Wow, I hadn't seen that one.

Hard to find online sometimes, as people call them different names, and not always Les Paul Jr. Special Plus.

The belly cut is kinda cool, like on the Axcess.

They're like flat-top standards without binding and trapazoids.

Dot inlays.

60's neck.

490/498 humbuckers.

Mahogany neck & body.

Transparent Red or Amber, AA figured flat maple top.

Archived