Gibson Brands Forums

soo... I took the SG plunge...

xdistancex

Yeah it is def a great guitar' date=' it just doesnt hit me like my LP special did, havent decided what to do with it, but it does need to be appreciated!

i will try to get pics of the back, i just have to figure out where the camera is, because i just moved this past week! [/quote']

Yeah, I'm the opposite I have a hard time with LP's because of weight and upper fret access. I have med. hands and a bad back. I can appreciate the moving thing. At my age I do it as little as possible. Been in the same house and town for 20 yrs. now.

yeah the fret access on the SG is def better then the LP the weight doesnt bother me soo much but i could def see how it would with a bad back!

I think LP's are beautiful and have a slight edge in sustain and tone but they are not for me unfortunately. If I bought one it would be for show only.

yeah i have always played LPs so i guess ive just become accostomed to them, i played a prs yesterday at the guitar store, and it was beautiful and played nice, but it wasnt as comfortable as an LP so i think ill pry always play LPs! haha

yeah i have always played LPs so i guess ive just become accostomed to them' date=' i played a prs yesterday at the guitar store, and it was beautiful and played nice, but it wasnt as comfortable as an LP so i think ill pry always play LPs! haha[/quote']

It's not a science and every guitar feels different to every player. Go with what keeps you wanting to play all day til you get blisters on your fingers lol.

The neck joint definitely can throw you off, it happens to me with my Explorer.

At least the SG has an upper horn, Explorers, Firebirds and V's you can see the entire neck it just makes a difference if you are used to a Les Paul.

The opposite seems to happen to James Hetfield when playing his Les Paul, he seems to push the guitar to the left I guess that places the neck where that of an Explorer would be.

I think roughly the same neck on very different bodies gives a very different "feel" that's actually valuable for keeping your head into different technical concepts.

I'd love a 335, but basically the instruments I have now are pieces I'm comfortable with - but enjoy switching around on occasion just to push for a different perspective even on the same stuff I've done for years. The idea of doing the same stuff the same way for over 40 years doesn't seem all that neat.

m

I have to admit that getting used to an SG with a fixed bridge & stop tail piece took a little getting used to. All the guitars I used to have & play had tremelo's. The fixed bridge & ST piece shortened the area for palm muting & stopping ringing strings. Once I got used to it now I love my SG's

Archived