Gibson Brands Forums

soo... I took the SG plunge...

xdistancex

so I came across this SG I recently from a guy who was a bit hard up for money....the story is, he bought it new with the intention of learning to play and never got into it, so it sat in his closet since, which means its in near mint shape minus like 3 little dings and a couple of minor scratches. but none the less now needing some cash he decided to sell it rather cheap, and i decided to buy it! haha

its a super nice guitar, however im not use to playing the SG and havent been able to get comfortable with it, it plays amazing, it just doesnt feel like my les paul, and i know its not a les paul, but im beggining to think that im just a les paul guy, so i havent decided if i am going to keep it or possibly put it towards that LP JR ive been wanting.....

sorry about the pics they are the ones he sent me, havent dug the camera out to take new ones since the move..

never the less here she is 97 SG I

P3100548.jpg

P3110540.jpg

P3110541.jpg

P3100549.jpg

Hi xdistancex.

You don't say how long ago you've had it.

If you haven't had it too long - a fortnight, say - then give it a couple more weeks to see if it grows on you.

If it doesn't - or you have had it a month and you are still not too comfortable with the feel of it - I'd say sell it to help you get the Junior.....always assuming you have played and liked the JR, of course!

its a super nice guitar' date=' however im not use to playing the SG and havent been able to get comfortable with it, it plays amazing, it just doesnt feel like my les paul, and i know its not a les paul, but im beggining to think that im just a les paul guy, so i havent decided if i am going to keep it or possibly put it towards that LP JR ive been wanting.....[/quote']

I have a theory about solid body guitars without a neck pickup in that they have a different feel and sound to them than if they had a rout for a neck pickup. I've owned my SG Jr for almost 20 years now so I'm very familiar with how it sounds and feels, including unplugged. A dude on another forum posted a picture of five guitars along with five sound clips of each of them played unplugged and asked people to identify which was which (there were a couple of LPs, a Tele, an Epi LP Jr and a Line 6 Variax). One of the ones I was absolutely sure of was the Epi LP Jr because it had a very similar vibe to my SG Jr and it turned out that that was one of the ones I picked correctly.

So what's my point?

If you really want an LP Jr, go for it. However, even though it's a different guitar from the SG I, I would still expect somewhat similar response from the two based on my own limited experience. Only one way to find out though and that's to check out some LP Jrs.

Obligatory guitar pr0n:

sgj1.jpg

I catch a little static for it, but honestly, my #1 is a jazz box, but #2 is the 1970s version of the SG. The SG shape just seems to work nicely regardless of syle of music for me. The neck on the piece I have is really nice for what I like.

I've always thought that the SG is one of those things in life that always works well but seldom gets the degree of respect that it deserves.

m

I catch a little static for it' date=' but honestly, my #1 is a jazz box, but #2 is the 1970s version of the SG. The SG shape just seems to work nicely regardless of syle of music for me. The neck on the piece I have is really nice for what I like.

[b']I've always thought that the SG is one of those things in life that always works well but seldom gets the degree of respect that it deserves.[/b]

m

Gotta agree with you there, Milo.

The SG seems to be incredible in its versatility--I don't know what it is, but something about it just works.

The model is SG I, Ive had it for about 2 months or so now, i just moved so i hadnt been able to post it till now, by near mint, what i meant is 3 little dings, and a couple small scratches isnt much for a guitar that is 13 yrs old, but it sat in his closet for the better part of that, and at any rate it was only $225 so i couldnt pass it up!

it does have a coil tap switch, and the pickup is a 500T

Ill have to dig up the camera to take pics of the back for ya

yeah i have played LP JRs and i have my LP special i love the solid body LP feel, where the SG is alot lighter, the neck on it is fantastic althought it takes time to get use to because the way the neck mounts it sticks out farther from the body then a LP so as far as finger placement on frets it was a bit wierd, i just feel like im more comfortable with an LP i guess, we will just have to see! haha

Yeah.... your observation about the neck seeming longer is right on.

In fact, one reason I like to switch occasionally is that lighter strings and an apparently longer neck on the sg style makes me rethink some hand positions and fingerings...

Technically the fingerboards are virtually idential. They feel very, very different.

m

yeah the pick up is a 500T and the little switch is a coil tap' date=' and thats the way they came! [/quote']

Cool I think it is a great guitar just needs TLC and someone who appreciates it. Pics of the backside would also help. Sorry I missed your post telling us this already.

Yeah it is def a great guitar, it just doesnt hit me like my LP special did, havent decided what to do with it, but it does need to be appreciated!

i will try to get pics of the back, i just have to figure out where the camera is, because i just moved this past week!

Archived