Gibson Brands Forums

Dazed and Confused before Zeppelin...

daveinspain

There sure was.

Bad Times, Worse Times: Led Zeppelin Sued for Copyright Infringement

By DAVE ITZKOFF

Neil Zlozower/Rhino Records

From left, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin in an undated photo.

Led Zeppelin historians have chronicled the creation of that rock band’s early classic “Dazed and Confused” for so long it’s understandable if fans can no longer tell what’s true about its authorship. One thing is for certain: Jake Holmes, a folk singer who asserts he recorded a similar song, also called “Dazed and Confused,” in 1967, says that he is the song’s creator and has filed a copyright infringement lawsuit against Led Zeppelin and its guitarist, Jimmy Page, as well as the band’s record labels and Mr. Page’s publishing company.

According to court documents filed on Monday in United States District Court in California and reported by TMZ.com, lawyers for Mr. Holmes say his “Dazed and Confused” was first copyrighted in July 1967, and its copyright renewed in December 1995. The song was later covered by the Yardbirds, the blues-rock band in which Mr. Page performed before Led Zeppelin, and the Zeppelin song was recorded in 1968 and released on the band’s self-titled debut album in 1969. (The group broke up in 1980.)

Mr. Holmes’s suit says Mr. Page copied the song “without authorization or permission” and “knowingly and willfully” infringes on his copyrights. A management company listed for Mr. Page said it no longer represented him, and a press representative for Led Zeppelin at Atlantic Records did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

Listen to Jake Holmes sing “Dazed and Confused”:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah down through the years Zep has been sued by many songwriters for copyright infringements.

Seems they didn't mind borrowing from others and not giving credit.

That has changed on some of their recordings because of lawsuits.

plagiarism occurs throughout Led Zeppelin’s impressive catalog…

10. “Black Mountain Side” (LISTEN) – originally it was a traditional English folk song that appears on Bert Jansch’s 1966 album Jack Orion as “Blackwaterside” (LISTEN); yet it was credited on Led Zeppelin’s first album as a Jimmy Page composition. This is a common theme.

9. “Babe I’m Gonna Leave You” (LISTEN) – a folk song that was written by Anne Bredon in the late ’50s and then recorded by Joan Baez in 1963 (LISTEN). Led Zeppelin included the song on their 1969 debut Led Zeppelin credited as “trad., arr. Page” but then later changed (in the ’90s) to properly given credit to Bredon for writing the song.

8. “Since I’ve Been Lovin’ You” (LISTEN) – released on the album Led Zeppelin III, the song features lyrics taken from the Moby Grape song “Never” (MP3). Perhaps it was coincidence that Moby Grape was one of Robert Plant’s favorite bands…

7. “Moby ****” (LISTEN) – a fan favorite during Led Zeppelin concerts, the guitar riff is eerily similar to (or, a nearly note-for-note ripoff of) a riff which appears on Bobby Parker’s 1961 single, “Watch Your Step” (LISTEN). Jimmy Page was an admitted fan of Parker’s, at one point even attempting to sign him to Led Zeppelin’s Swan Song Records label.

6. “In My Time Of Dying” (LISTEN) – this is a traditional blues song that has been covered by a LOT of musicians since the early ’60s when Bob Dylan covered it on his debut album (LISTEN). Unlike most musicians who record the song, Led Zeppelin could not admit the song wasn’t their own: Dylan credited the song “trad. arr. Dylan”, Zeppelin’s credits read “Page, Plant, John Paul Jones, John Bonham”.

5. “The Lemon Song” (LISTEN) – from Led Zeppelin II, this song steals heavily from the Howlin’ Wolf song “Killing Floor” (LISTEN), a song Led Zeppelin often played during their first tour of the United States. I say “steal” because the credits on Led Zeppelin II attribute the song solely to Page, Plant, Jones, and Bonham.

4. “Bring It On Home” (LISTEN) – written by Willie Dixon and made famous by Sonny Boy Williamson II, Led Zeppelin’s version from Led Zeppelin II featured an intro and outro that were deliberate homages to the original. However, Willie Dixon was not given a writing credit for the track and Arc Music later filed a lawsuit against Led Zeppelin for copyright infringement. The case was settled out of court.

3. “Whole Lotta Love” (LISTEN) – released on Led Zeppelin II, this song was the band’s first hit single. It was not, however, an original composition as the album credits originally claimed. In fact, the lyrics are heavily taken from “You Need Love” by Willie Dixon (MP3) whose label would later file a lawsuit claiming copyright infringement in 1985 (see above).

2. “Stairway To Heaven” (LISTEN) – yes, even this most classic of all Zeppelin songs is based upon another band’s music. Nooo! Not “Stairway”, say it ain’t so! Well, the main guitar riff sounds an awful lot like the song “Taurus” by the band Spirit (LISTEN), doesn’t it? Especially when you consider that Led Zeppelin toured with Spirit in 1969…

1. “Dazed And Confused” (LISTEN) – released on Led Zeppelin’s first album, the song was originally credited as “written by Jimmy Page” and was one of the band’s most signature songs. However, it was NOT written by Jimmy Page. In fact, “Dazed and Confused” was originally penned by folk singer Jake Holmes (LISTEN) who caught Page’s attention one night at the Village Theater in Greenwich Village while opening for The Yardbirds (Page’s band at the time). Jimmy arranged a version of the song for The Yardbirds but didn’t record a studio version until 1969 with Led Zeppelin. “Dazed And Confused” went on to become the highlight of Zeppelin shows for their entire career, Jake Holmes never sought any manner of legal action.

until now

Everybody shares/copy/covers/addapt music from one or another!!!!!!!

So WTF....

Led Zep surely had much songs addapted, I know that, but it doens't change it's a GREAT band!!!!!!

Dazed and confused sucks in the origibal version of Jack Holmes, so it's an honour for him that this song is wel adapted!!!!

He had plenty of time to sue the band in the 70;80; and 90's... why did he wait so long????

Led Zep were no angels, but surely no outlaws either ; it was the time of sex drugs and rock and roll!

That's part of the myth!!!

BTW; Page bought the copyright on much of the Chess-records....so it's normal he can dig into this the adapt songs?

I suppose nobody cares about the copyright dispute over "Got My Mojo Workin'" between Muddy Waters and Preston Foster.

Cookieman, I hope you realize that George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" is pretty remarkably close to The Chiffons' "He's So Fine." Harrison lost $587,000 over that one.

One of these days, listen to the song "Little Girl" off of Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton. The song is credited to John Mayall, and it's also an unmistakable rendition of Howlin' Wolf's arrangement of "Forty-Four," albeit with different lyrics.

Plenty of people have their qualms about Led Zeppelin being shameful, unforgivable plagiarists. I think they should get over it.

I love Zeps Music and Pages Playing, but that doesn't mean he didn't try to take writing credit for stuff he should have been crediting to the original writers. The Article Cookieman posted says The Lemon Song "Steals Heavily" from the original. That's a mild understatement, It Fricken IS Killing Floor.

One possible reason for Pages Musical Infidelities (I say Pages because Zep was his Baby) could be that he got ripped off himself for most of the guitar work he did in the studio during the early 60's. He'd often come up with a riff in the studio that Hermans Hermits or The Troggs would credit to their song writer, usually the producer.

Not excusing Pages Transgressions, I guess I'm "Just Sayin'"....but without the Whistley Face.

I suppose nobody cares about the copyright dispute over "Got My Mojo Workin'" between Muddy Waters and Preston Foster.

Cookieman' date=' I hope you realize that George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" is pretty remarkably close to The Chiffons' "He's So Fine." Harrison lost $587,000 over that one.

One of these days, listen to the song "Little Girl" off of [i']Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton[/i]. The song is credited to John Mayall, and it's also an unmistakable rendition of Howlin' Wolf's arrangement of "Forty-Four," albeit with different lyrics.

Plenty of people have their qualms about Led Zeppelin being shameful, unforgivable plagiarists. I think they should get over it.

Frankly don't care.

I'm not a zep fan or apologist I was just passing on the info.

I know all about Harrison's plight and if you do it once eh shame on ya. Pays your fines and move along but when a pattern develops and the originals aren't credited.........

Yeah down through the years Zep has been sued by many songwriters for copyright infringements.

Seems they didn't mind borrowing from others and not giving credit.

That has changed on some of their recordings because of lawsuits.

plagiarism occurs throughout Led Zeppelin’s impressive catalog…

10. “Black Mountain Side” (LISTEN) – originally it was a traditional English folk song that appears on Bert Jansch’s 1966 album Jack Orion as “Blackwaterside” (LISTEN); yet it was credited on Led Zeppelin’s first album as a Jimmy Page composition. This is a common theme.

9. “Babe I’m Gonna Leave You” (LISTEN) – a folk song that was written by Anne Bredon in the late ’50s and then recorded by Joan Baez in 1963 (LISTEN). Led Zeppelin included the song on their 1969 debut Led Zeppelin credited as “trad.' date=' arr. Page” but then later changed (in the ’90s) to properly given credit to Bredon for writing the song.

8. “Since I’ve Been Lovin’ You” (LISTEN) – released on the album Led Zeppelin III, the song features lyrics taken from the Moby Grape song “Never” (MP3). Perhaps it was coincidence that Moby Grape was one of Robert Plant’s favorite bands…

7. “Moby ****” (LISTEN) – a fan favorite during Led Zeppelin concerts, the guitar riff is eerily similar to (or, a nearly note-for-note ripoff of) a riff which appears on Bobby Parker’s 1961 single, “Watch Your Step” (LISTEN). Jimmy Page was an admitted fan of Parker’s, at one point even attempting to sign him to Led Zeppelin’s Swan Song Records label.

6. “In My Time Of Dying” (LISTEN) – this is a traditional blues song that has been covered by a LOT of musicians since the early ’60s when Bob Dylan covered it on his debut album (LISTEN). Unlike most musicians who record the song, Led Zeppelin could not admit the song wasn’t their own: Dylan credited the song “trad. arr. Dylan”, Zeppelin’s credits read “Page, Plant, John Paul Jones, John Bonham”.

5. “The Lemon Song” (LISTEN) – from Led Zeppelin II, this song steals heavily from the Howlin’ Wolf song “Killing Floor” (LISTEN), a song Led Zeppelin often played during their first tour of the United States. I say “steal” because the credits on Led Zeppelin II attribute the song solely to Page, Plant, Jones, and Bonham.

4. “Bring It On Home” (LISTEN) – written by Willie Dixon and made famous by Sonny Boy Williamson II, Led Zeppelin’s version from Led Zeppelin II featured an intro and outro that were deliberate homages to the original. However, Willie Dixon was not given a writing credit for the track and Arc Music later filed a lawsuit against Led Zeppelin for copyright infringement. The case was settled out of court.

3. “Whole Lotta Love” (LISTEN) – released on Led Zeppelin II, this song was the band’s first hit single. It was not, however, an original composition as the album credits originally claimed. In fact, the lyrics are heavily taken from “You Need Love” by Willie Dixon (MP3) whose label would later file a lawsuit claiming copyright infringement in 1985 (see above).

2. “Stairway To Heaven” (LISTEN) – yes, even this most classic of all Zeppelin songs is based upon another band’s music. Nooo! Not “Stairway”, say it ain’t so! Well, the main guitar riff sounds an awful lot like the song “Taurus” by the band Spirit (LISTEN), doesn’t it? Especially when you consider that Led Zeppelin toured with Spirit in 1969…

1. “Dazed And Confused” (LISTEN) – released on Led Zeppelin’s first album, the song was originally credited as “written by Jimmy Page” and was one of the band’s most signature songs. However, it was NOT written by Jimmy Page. In fact, “Dazed and Confused” was originally penned by folk singer Jake Holmes (LISTEN) who caught Page’s attention one night at the Village Theater in Greenwich Village while opening for The Yardbirds (Page’s band at the time). Jimmy arranged a version of the song for The Yardbirds but didn’t record a studio version until 1969 with Led Zeppelin. “Dazed And Confused” went on to become the highlight of Zeppelin shows for their entire career, Jake Holmes never sought any manner of legal action.

until now

–[/quote']

This makes it all more worthy! I love this forum! Thanks again for this treasure, cookieman!

Frankly don't care.

I'm not a zep fan or apologist I was just passing on the info.

I know all about Harrison's plight and if you do it once eh shame on ya. Pays your fines and move along but when a pattern develops and the originals aren't credited.........

I know. We all know. From what I've read of your posts' date=' you undoubtedly have an ax to grind in regards to Zep. Good for you. Get over it.

Hey, I don't like Fountains Of Wayne. In fact, I hate their music. But I haven't mentioned them [i']once[/i] in my entire time here.

I know. We all know. From what I've read of your posts' date=' you undoubtedly have an ax to grind in regards to Zep. Good for you. Get over it.

Hey, I don't like Fountains Of Wayne. In fact, I hate their music. But I haven't mentioned them [i']once[/i] in my entire time here.

Got nothin to get over D-knig- it.

Seems to be a touchy subject with you though.

Glad you took the time to read some of my post I've given them kudos many times, found Jones and Bonham to be excellent musicians and Page although great, a bit sloppy live. Plants vocals make me laugh every time I hear em (can't help it) but others love his wails so good for him.

I never took to em like others of my generation thats not a knock just the truth. Lord knows I tried. Spent many nights with buds partying with Zep on the turntable but just never found them fascinating as some. I apologize.

As for the FOW reference I don't get the connection.

To my knowledge they've never been sued for copyright infringement.

Archived