Gibson Brands Forums

Blue Chip Picks........ (Again) !

Murph

Blue Chip is a fine pick. I bought a couple but they were a bit thin for me.......if I reorder it will be the heaviest thing they've got. I too felt the Red Bear pick in thinner gauges could be a bit raspy sounding. For me it was in the grip of the pick and, most of all, the angle of attack. Firm grip, flat angle of attack gets a great tone with a thinner gauge, while a heavier gauge (1.20+) has a larger sweet spot for grip and attack and, I feel, delivers much more power and control.

I certainly agree that outside of buying another guitar, the pick is the single most influential tone-maker on any guitar.

Mandoliners seem to be more obsessed with picks that guit tar pickers. Don't know why. [biggrin]

They gots more strings.......

Less space......

And way higher tension.....

[biggrin]

They are all the rage. Never wear out. Made from a secret special stuff........

Murph' date='

I've got this vision in my mind of a "Wonka's Everlasting Gobstopper" melted down and formed into a flatpick. [biggrin

Honestly, I've never heard of these picks before (nor some of the others mentioned in this thread), probably because I'm pretty much a fingerpicker and don't pay much attention to flatpicks. However, as someone who couldn't imagine myself without the Fred Kelly "Slick Pick" (my personal favorite thumbpick), I can understand the obsession to find the pick that does the trick for you.

All the best,

Guth

Murph' date='

I've got this vision in my mind of a "Wonka's Everlasting Gobstopper" melted down and formed into a flatpick. [biggrin

Honestly, I've never heard of these picks before

I must admit, it's only been a few months for me. But like I said, there are 45 pages about this topic at the Mandolin Cafe that dates all the way back to 2008.

Chris Thile, Chris Eldridge, literally dozens of MAJOR bluegrass pickers SWEAR by these things. After also reading about them here, mostly positve as well, I simply coudn't take it anymore.

I'll know in a few days.......

[blink]

Archived