Gibson Brands Forums

Blue Chip Picks........ (Again) !

Murph

I noticed at the Mandolin Cafe the thread has 45 pages.

45 pages.

The one here didn't go so long and I was just wondering what those of you who bought one think after several months. I will say they seem to be a big hit amongst bluegrass players.

I haven't taken that $ 40.00 plunge yet........

[crying]

I think it's the best pick I've ever used. I prefer the feel of the Red Bears, but the tone of the Blue Chip is more natural. I find the Red Bears are a little harsh and scratchy.

I also like the John Pearse chitin pick, which I never hear discussed. that dimple is awesome. I just wish it had a bit more treble in the tone.

I'll be ordering another Blue Chip soon, I think.

Enlighten me' date=' please! What's a Blue Chip pick? Never heard of 'em.[confused']

They are all the rage. Never wear out. Made from a secret special stuff........

Ancient Chinese secret!

Okay Murph' date=' if you buy one I'll buy one. Of course it'll cost me $50.00 Canadian and $40.00 to ship it up here [biggrin

Okay. I'll buy 2.

:-k

Had a TAD-60 (1.5 mm, large triangle) that gave my adi over rosewood Martins the purest grassy tone...

Didn't like it at all on the Dove, which after extensive experimentation gets mostly played with the large yellow triangle .73 Dunlop Tortex, which costs < $1, and sounds so true on my effed up versions of George Strait "Troubador" and Dwight Yoakum "Streets of Bakersfield" --- and all my semi-alternative countrified originals...

IMHO, they are worth it for flatpicking bluegrass, but that's not really my calling...

Done....

I just ordered the TD35. My usual pick is the Tortex .50mm so this will still be thicker than I'm used to.

(I just ordered 1)

I was looking at them and I think that's the thinnest you can get? Is an American quarter the same size as a Canadian quarter? I use a Tortex .60 (the orange ones) but I hold mine weird so I'm wondering if the bevel will not work for me? I hold mine lengthwise.

Done....

I just ordered the TD35. My usual pick is the Tortex .50mm so this will still be thicker than I'm used to.

(I just ordered 1)

Hey Murph! I was checking them out on their website. I, like GG, use the orange Tortex. The TD-35 does seem to be the "thinnest" one available. That's probably the one that I would get also. Let me (us on the Forum) know how you like it.

I have 2 TAD 40s, lefty bevelled. Perfect pick imho, doesn't slip, very natural clean sound & indestructable. Well worth $40.

Matthew, the owner, was at Kaufman Kamp for a day when I was there recently & his stall was doing a roaring trade with all the Bluegrass flatpickers there.

I think it's the best pick I've ever used. I prefer the feel of the Red Bears' date=' but the tone of the Blue Chip is more natural. I find the Red Bears are a little harsh and scratchy.

I also like the John Pearse chitin pick, which I never hear discussed. that dimple is awesome. I just wish it had a bit more treble in the tone.

I'll be ordering another Blue Chip soon, I think. [/quote']

" I find the Red Bears are a little harsh and scratchy " ?

I have several Red Bears not harsh or scratchy ? What bevel did you order? :-

I have one- can't remember the model but it is 1mm with a single rounded corner and two more pointyones. I love it on my mandolin where it plays a little faster than the Wegens I sometimes use, but I find it too stiff for guitar where I like a little flex and use 0.073 picks usually. Tone wise is seems to bring out the trebles more than any other pick I use.

Worth $40- heck no.

I just got tired of hearing about them and needed to form my own opinion as to how good they are so i spent the money. No regrets really...but i won't buy a second one.

Closed except for Blue Chip Airlines guaranteed 3 hour delivery by fighter jet to Illinois and Calgary...

At $40.00 per pick' date=' I would expect the Blue Chip airlines to be running on Sundays! And the crew will be dining on filet mignon![cool

Think of how many better ways you can spend $40! It's a pick....

I think people tend to forget how much the pick affects tone. More than strings, more than saddle and nut, more than bridge pins. In fact, other than the guitar itself, I think the pick makes the most difference. So, yeah, $40 is a lot for a little slab of plasticky material, but in the big picture, it makes a lot of sense if you're "picky" about your tone.

I think people tend to forget how much the pick affects tone. More than strings' date=' more than saddle and nut, more than bridge pins. In fact, other than the guitar itself, I think the pick makes the most difference. So, yeah, $40 is a lot for a little slab of plasticky material, but in the big picture, it makes a lot of sense if you're "picky" about your tone.[/quote']

Amen brother.

I A/B'd a bunch of picks today, having already ordered the Blue Chip (pre-delivery remorse?) and was amazed at the difference. I tried (again) the green Tortex .88mm to try to get used to the thickness and hate the muffled sound.

BUT THEN grabbed a celluloid medium and BOOM the trebles came back, even though the thickness was about the same.

What pulled me to the Tortex RED (.50mm) was the fact that they NEVER break, and gave some flex for my electric smokin' hot loud lead playin days. The trebles were just built in. But I like the tone of them on acoustic far better than the green .88mm. But, they flex a bit much for fast bluegrass and volume is also a new concern with fiddles and mandolins hangin' around.

Everything I read about these Blue Chips say they have a great feel AND tone AND last forever.

Archived