Gibson Brands Forums

Red Brand Stings

lovacoustic

I was at a gig in a remote area of WI and only brought one extra set of stings with me so I decided to stop at a music store and pick up another set just in case. I used John Pearse Bluegrass strings on my AJ because I liked the deeper tone they give me on the low end. The store didn't have any, so I picked a set of Red Brand (never used them before) because the gauges were closest to what I'd been using. That night, funny enough, I broke my first string in years. I was going on a break anyway so I decided to change all of them and try out the Red Brand. All I can say is WOW! They added some definite punch to the sound. They seemed to add some clarity as well.

Has anyone else used these strings? Just wondering what your experience has been regarding how long they last and how they sound after a couple gigs.

Steve

I haven't heard of them either but you can bet I'll check them out. And I didn't know that John Pearse put out bluegrass strings either! I really like JP strings so will definitely check those out. I've got D'Addario EXP's on Magic right now and I'm not a fan (sorry D'Addario; I like your other strings). And Lily has mediums on right now and they are fabulously fine on that guitar. I love trying out new strings but the more guitars I acquire the less I change strings sadly. :-k

Welcome to the forum Lovacoustic

I have tried these. I ordered a half dozen sets from somewhere and strung my old 200 with them every once in a while, with sets of Pearse and DR Sunbeams in between sets of Reds. They were okay, not bad but not particularly good either. To my ear, on my guitar, they were a bit duller in tone than either of the other makers strings with perhaps a bit more tension. I won't be buying anymore.......

I haven't heard of them either but you can bet I'll check them out. And I didn't know that John Pearse put out bluegrass strings either! I really like JP strings so will definitely check those out. I've got D'Addario EXP's on Magic right now and I'm not a fan (sorry D'Addario; I like your other strings). And Lily has mediums on right now and they are fabulously fine on that guitar. I love trying out new strings but the more guitars I acquire the less I change strings sadly. [blink]

Welcome to the forum Lovacoustic

Actually GG, the more guitars you have the less string changing you do. If you play the same amount and spread your play time equally among the herd, you change strings less frequently. Well I have Elixirs on the acoustics and the electric 12 string and that helps too.

The D'Addario EXP's (which I usually can't stand) sound wonderful on Magic amplified and in dropped tuning.

Actually GG' date=' the more guitars you have the less string changing you do. If you play the same amount and spread your play time equally among the herd, you change strings less frequently. Well I have Elixirs on the acoustics and the electric 12 string and that helps too.

[b']The D'Addario EXP's (which I usually can't stand) sound wonderful on Magic amplified and in dropped tuning. [/b]

Ahhh! I'm so excited!

Archived