Gibson Brands Forums

Guess Who is 70 today?

TommyK

I got an email from a friend recently that claimed "tweety bird" hit 60.

Me?

Clapton's a cupla months older than I am.

Never was that much into cartoons, myself. When I was a kid I seemed to have almost unlimited options to do stuff, and darned few options to watch stuff. That pretty well changed for kids born just a few years after me.

m

The racist ones from WW2-time are crazy. "Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips"

That wasn't racism. It was war time patriotism.

But now, without understanding the context of the times it was made, would be xenophobic.

There was also "Herr meets Hare". But, was that xenophobic?

How do?? Welcome to my shop, let me cut your mop, let me shave your crop

Daintily, daintily

Hey you!!

Don't look so perplexed, why must you be vexed, can't you see you're next

Yes you're next, you're so next

How about a nice close shave

Teach your whiskers to behave

Lots of lather lots of soap

Please hold still don't be a dope

Now we're ready for the scraping

There's no use to try escaping

Yell & scream & rant & rave

It's no use you need a shave

Ooh ouch ouch oh ouch oh oh ouch

There, you're nice and clean

Although your face looks like it might have gone through a machine

the rest:

Oh, wait until I get that rabbit

What would you want with a rabbit

Can't you see that I'm much sweeter

I'm your little senorita

You're my type of guy

Let me straighten your tie

And I shall dance for you

Music, btw, also played a role in the war effort, especially WWII. It had begun during WWI, but the existence of radio and better "record players" and motion pictures with sound made a major difference.

Not just in the US. All nations at war with the technological capability did the same thing.

We tend to forget the revolution that mass communication with sound capability made on the world. In fact, I'd go so far as to suggest that adding the Web to dissemination of sound and video, we're far from the end of that revolution.

One major difference is in the video side where we seem to have a much shorter attention span.

But the old "it has to fit on a record" remains for musicians today, even though we do longer pieces in concerts or playing saloons and other venues where there is dancing. Radio loves it 'cuz they can add commercials between songs.

As for "propaganda," yeah, it was on both sides in WWII in all available media among all combatants. Music alone had many, many pieces that now would be considered politically incorrect and insensitive: One record my Mom had while my Dad was in the Pacific in uniform was "We're going to have to slap that dirty little Jap." Another popular one was "Remember Pearl Harbor."

The Japanese had their own versions of the above; so did the Germans. I don't know about the Russians, but their wartime negative experience probably exceeded in ways that of any other combatant nation excluding Japan and Germany toward the end of the war.

For my profession I went to school for film & television. I was lucky enough to work for an art gallery that had a cell animation department that sold cells while I was in school. At least once a month we had a show with a different artist or animator. I've met so many of these fun nutty people. Chuck Jones was my least favorite, what an A=hole! To me Friz Freleng was the Bugs Bunny animator that did the best drawings of Bugs Bunny and classic adventures! I picked up from the airport and showed the town to Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera who were my two favorite people! Joe Barbera was just a great person and always had fun! The head animator for Roger Rabbit Tom Sito and many others! Joe Barbera was not use to the altitude of Denver discovered after we went out for a few drinks. As we were walking back a ditsy saleswoman for us looked down and said hey Joe your shoes are untied. As he looked down he continued to to fall to the ground and did a face slide on the sidewalk. We got him up and cleaned him up but his face was a mess. We had the big show that night and he just laughed and made fun of himself and said as always in this business, the show must go on!

A- b-b b - that's all folks!

Let us not forget.

The Stooge Shorts: "You Nazty Spy" and "I'll Never Heil Again"

and Charlie Chaplain's "The Great Dictator".

All released while the United States was still in isolationist mode, before the attack on Perl Harbor and our entrance into World War II.

Archived