Gibson Brands Forums

Tempted by a 1965 J-50

guitar12

I played a 1965 J-50 at Guitar Center tonight that was just wonderful. It didn’t have much crazing on it but had quite a few nicks and dents but as they say ‘nothing unexpected for it’s age’. It could use a good cleaning tho and they are asking $2295 for it. I’m not an expert on what these should be going for. I would guess that it needs new frets and it has the original adjustable bridge with ceramic saddle but it plays like a champ. There is a luthier next door and I would love to have him look at it just to let me know what if any repairs it might need now or in the near future but the only way to do that would be to buy it. Guitar Center of course does have a 30 day return policy. I’ve never really considered myself a vintage guy but I’m tempted!

Rob

Browse the J50s at elderly.com or gbase.con an idea of the price range. Other things to look for might be loose braces, top bellying, how much saddle is left. GC wouldnt be my first choice to deal with for used & vintage--an "as is" shop.

I would say if you have the luxury of a Luthier living next door to you, you can't go too far wrong in getting a good assessment of the condition. As jkinnama said, have him check out the stuff going on "under the hood" of the guitar. Loose braces are not eaisly noticble by most people like break angle over the saddle or neck twists can be. If given a clean bill of health from your Luthier, that seems like a pretty decent price for a 65 J-50 to me. (Remember that pretty much all values are down so don't be afraid to negotiate with them!)

That price is high but then again it's Guitar Center and they usually tend to price their vintage guitars high. I see these quite often on E-Bay sell in the $1300-$1800 range. Don't be afraid to make them an offer. Make sure to offer less then what you really can afford. If you can afford $1800 offer $1500 for it. Keep in mind a refret will run on average $250.

Make sure it comes with a good hardshell case at whatever price you negotiate at. If they play hardball, walk away.

There are lot's of mid 60's J50 available at much lower prices then what GC has. Good luck.

Archived