Gibson Brands Forums

Loose/wobbly neck pickup problem

Hot Cake

Hello everyone. I was hoping someone could help me out here.

My 2003 SG standard has a slightly loose/wobbly neck pickup. This occurs only if you prod it with your finger really. It doesn't wobble on it's own, ie when tilting the guitar. However, if you play acoustically, you can here it vibrate a little, as it's clearly not as secure as it could be. So it's a little annoying. The bridge pup is nice and secure. I'm pretty sure it came set up like this from new, when i originally bought it.

The pup heights are fine. Any higher and they might touch the strings when fretting high up. The pups aren't aligned parallel with the strings though (should they be?), they are flat, as the strings pass over them at an angle.

So my question is, how can i correct this loose neck pup? Is it normal? The guitar still plays well of course, but it is annoying me.

Many thanks.

Don't worry its normal... They all do that. The pick up is secured just by the two spring loaded hight adjustment screws so they will move around if you prod them with your finger.... I thought it was odd myself when I got my first LP but thats just the way they are... No worries...

Welcome to the Forum... How about a few pics, its mandatory for Newbies ;-)

Thanks for putting my mind at ease daveinspain :P

I suppose i am a newbie, although i'm sure i joined this Gibson Forum in the early 00s, just before i bought my SG.

I can get a pic up later, although i'm sure you know what a cherry standard looks like :)

You're right, it is special. Ever since i started playing guitar, from age 16, when i was a crazed Angus Young/AC/DC fan, i wanted a "Gibson" SG. 12 years later and i finally bought one, with the help of some cash my dear old gran left me.

just a suggestion,,,,,, i did this to the middle pickup i installed myself, and plan on doing it to my bridge and neck pickup,

but deppending on the deepness of you pickup well,and your guitar altering preferences, you can mount the pickup directly into the wood which eliminates that problem and adds more sustain to your guitar when its plugged in

just and old doug irwin design my father taught me

Archived