Gibson Brands Forums

AJ500RC Owner-Review

Dagwood

Got one of these for Christmas '07 and am Loving it.

Now I'm waiting for the store(s) to get the MB Cases in cuz I really need a nice case for this baby.

AJ500RC - worth every penny

QUALITY:

I feel lucky to have this guitar in my hands. For one its so hard to find one of these. The quality of this instrument is supurb. It feels better than a lot of the higher end models I've played on. The quality is is by far among the best I've seen.

FEATURES:

Every about this guitar.. the Solid Cedar Top, almost looks like it is a one piece as the seam is hard to see. The rosewood back and sides are beautiful, the neck is smooth and nice, at least for me, some might not like the V neck but it isn't as pronounced as you might think. The classic styling of this Slot-Head 12 fret guitar will make you stand out from any crowd.

EASE OF USE:

This thing plays like butter. I couldn't put it down at all the first day I got it (Christmas 07). Now my fingers hurt and I can't play on it till my fingers heal a little bit. Open Chords, Barre Chords, Bends, slides all real easy. The setup was perfect straight out of the box.

VALUE:

Its worth every penny and then some. All wood, solid wood construction, deep scalloped bracing. You can tell they built this by hand back in the factory. This guitar 'feels' like an instrument. There's no case for this. I'm still trying to find a "MASTERBILT" Case for this thing.

SOUND:

Deep, rich almost bell like tone with awesome sustain, for an acoustic. The mid's seem a bit muddy, but I haven't changed the strings on mine yet and I know mine has been in its box at least a year....by the manufacturing date.

PICS:

l_1eabfe5ab52e0a7ce797195dfef6be9c.jpg

l_8e87837a0bf6b1a878d642358e00cd62.jpg

l_efe621b91bed841ab7905f2f3c56d7fd.jpg

I got an AJ500M about 3 weeks ago & I could not be happier with a guitar at 3 times the price.

I got the guitar for $335, at a local shop. They said it was a display model. It's new with no signs of being a display model.

There's not even pickgaurd scratches. I set it up myself, & put EXP PB lights on it, I tweaked the neck

adjustment, & sanded 1/8" from the saddle. It played good when I got it , but I never was any good at leaving things alone.

It plays like butter now! I found a very good used Epiphone Hard shell case at another shop for $100.

Can't believe I got a rig like this at this price.

I travel to Mexico quite a bit & taking one of my gibby's is not an option.

The more I play this thing the more unsure I am of taking it!!

The price seems to be going up every year for these. I guess the price didn't go up in 07, but they don't include a case, so it's kind of the same as raising the price.

Dagwood' date='

Nice Guitar! and great pics!

By the way, I noticed you have a GT8- how do you like it?

I have the me50 and am pretty happy with it but the gt8 has my curiousity...

Jay[/quote']

Jay,

Thanks for the comments.

The GT-8. I love it...hands down and for many reasons.

Number one being the infinite versatility of the unit.

Remember, this is not just a Multi Efx unit, it is also an AMP Sim unit as well and in my opinion the best Amp Sim/M-Efx unit out there in this price range.

There's quite a following out there and a great comparison on the different units available to the mass market.

If you haven't yet, check out the DEMO on Boss' site: CLICK HERE

Also the GT Community:

http://www.bossgtcentral.com/

And the Comparo:

http://forum.thestompbox.net/showthread.php?t=5765

All Great sites with good information.

Cheers.

Great review, Dagwood. I also got a AJ-500RC in December '07 and I agree with every observation. It's a great guitar.

However, 2 days ago I notice that the bridge is lifting free of the soundboard on the treble side, so now I'm looking for a warranty repair center.

From what I have read on other boards, this is a common trait with this particular model, so keep an eye on that bridge.

Greg

Great review' date=' Dagwood. I also got a AJ-500RC in December '07 and I agree with every observation. It's a great guitar.

However, 2 days ago I notice that the bridge is lifting free of the soundboard on the treble side, so now I'm looking for a warranty repair center.

From what I have read on other boards, this is a common trait with this particular model, so keep an eye on that bridge.

Greg [/quote']

Thanks Greg,

Yes I've seen that problem on other forums as well. I've been watching it alot.

I think it came strung with Mediums and I usually play with D'add Phos/Bronze Lights.... = less tension yes?

Anyhoo.. I've had no problems so far.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

D-

PS if your looking for a MB Case for yours. I found some available at:

http://www.wwbw.com/

I've looked High and Lo for those cool MasterBilt cases and these guys were the only 'online' retailer that had any in stock.

Dagwood' date=' thanks for the link. Is it the case described as "Masterbuilt Style Ultralight Hardcase w/ Hygrometer, the one we want for the AJ-500RC?

Thanks

Greg[/quote']

Yup... The Epiphone EMBADCS Case is the correct case. I ordered one at SweetWater and talked with them and confirmed that IS the case.

But then they called me a few days later and said they have a delay in getting these... (what's up Epi/Gibson?)... so I kept looking around and found em in stock there.

Dude I checked MF, AMS, SA, GC, all Epi dealers in Oregon/WA state... Nobody has em. <sigh> Till I found that one site. :-

G-luck.

Jay' date='

Thanks for the comments.

The GT-8. I love it...hands down and for many reasons.

Number one being the infinite versatility of the unit.

Remember, this is not just a Multi Efx unit, it is also an AMP Sim unit as well and in my opinion the best Amp Sim/M-Efx unit out there in this price range.

There's quite a following out there and a great comparison on the different units available to the mass market.

If you haven't yet, check out the DEMO on Boss' site: CLICK HERE

Also the GT Community:

http://www.bossgtcentral.com/

And the Comparo:

http://forum.thestompbox.net/showthread.php?t=5765

All Great sites with good information.

Cheers.

Thanks man!

I will definitely check out the site!

I tried one the other day. I was very eager to play it, considering the rave reviews. And I was willing to buy it right away, if convinced.

The guitar I tried a really ugly work done on both sides of the fretboard from about the 10th up to the 15th fret, an horrible ding on the rosette and the tuning machines were not properly lined up. Additionally the guitar didn't sound as good as expected. It was inspected in january 2008.

I was extremely disappointed.

I own an EF-500RVS which I really love and its tone is getting better with time. The finishing is perfect, and the inside of the guitar looks pristine. I wouldn't ever change the guitar.

So my "easy" question is: is it just an unfortunate instance or is the quality of Masterbilts getting worse?

I tried one the other day. I was very eager to play it' date=' considering the rave reviews. And I was willing to buy it right away, if convinced.

The guitar I tried a really ugly work done on both sides of the fretboard from about the 10th up to the 15th fret, an horrible ding on the rosette and the tuning machines were not properly lined up. Additionally the guitar didn't sound as good as expected. It was inspected in january 2008.

I was extremely disappointed.

So my "easy" question is: is it just an unfortunate instance or is the quality of Masterbilts getting worse?

[/quote']

This particular model seems to be a tough deal for the manufacturers. I haven't seen or heard about one yet that didn't have some little issue, though I'm sure they're out there.

I am on my second one (had to sell the first one for financial reasons) and the bridge has been repaired but other than that it's absolutely outstanding (and I own a very expensive Martin,record with Collings,Gibsons,etc)

To be fair, my new Fender 72 Deluxe limited edition has as many, if not more issues that my AJ500RC.....and I'm not returning IT either!

But, overall the Masterbilt series is one of the highest quality Acoustic lines out there and No one can touch it for anything under a couple grand.

I'd be patient and look for another one. Lightning doesn't usually strike twice.

-piggy

Actually the feeling I had was to hold a guitar built by another manufacturer or according to different standards. In the same shop there are some more Masterbilts: 2 EF-500M, a DR-500RA and all of them are outstanding. All of them are from 2005, like my EF. The AJ-500RC in particular though was really too "misshaped".

The whole story is: I wanted to buy the guitar. I aksed the guys at the store to look for one and at the time (April 2007) they couldn't find one available in Europe! So they waited for the next batch, I think. When the guitar arrived the guys called me and I ran to the store, only, as I mentioned, to be utterly disappointed.

But it was an incredible useful lesson and apparently, it cured me from GAS. Besides the Masterbilt EF I already own a Lakewood J-32 jumbo guitar which is a high-end guitar disguised by humble looks (no thrills satin finish). This is more than enough.

I think I need to concentrate more on getting better at playing...

Still, since I want to plug in, I'm thinking of buying on of those EF-500M in the store instead of modifying one of my guitars. Maybe I'm not so cured =D>

... The AJ-500RC in particular though was really too "misshaped".

What do you mean by this? The guitar as a whole or the neck itself?

You may have gotten a "DUD". When guitar makers mass produce there will be a few duds in the mix. Its just law of statistics.

Also like you said, these are rare in the US as well. I looked in stores all over the place for over 4 months looking for one.

It is a different 'feeling guitar'. Its "Old School". Sloped shoulder, the 12th fret at the body, the slot headstock and the neck has a "Soft V' in it. Some folks think this extra "Chunkiness" in the neck is just horrid. Others like it.

I don't mind it at all. There are times I want a thinner neck, but the tone mine produces is, in my opinion, awesome!!

Keep looking. You'll find the "One" for you O:)

Cheers.

Giovanni, I think you may have tried the odd "dud." I am very impressed with the build quality of my AJ-500RC, bridge problem notwithstanding. I think the bridge issues are really more of a manufacturing process problem than a construction problem. I mean, come on, why apply the finish before you glue on the bridge? You can be the best craftsman in the world, but eight or nine times out of ten that bridge is gonna lift.

Anyway, if you get the chance try out another.

Dagwood, the case you recommended arrived today, it's very nice. If only my AJ wasn't happily speeding on its way to Epiphone Warranty Service in Nashville. I really hope they choose to repair rather than replace. [-o<

Thanks again for the link.

Greg

I probably used the word "misshaped" improperly, or just to give an idea of my negative feeling towards the guitar and the resulting disappointment. Certainly the lesser quality of the guitar was non restricted to unacceptable cosmetic flaws: the guitar didn't sound good enough to be a Msetrbilt.

The old school feeling was exactly what I was looking for and this is something my EF displays too.

I'm sure you are all right: this was just a "dud" (it's always good lo learm new terms). It's just difficult to find Masterbilts in Italy. I guess I'll have to wait until may / june, that is when I'll visit the States for the first time.

Thanks and ciao!

• 2 weeks later...

Giavanni,

You DEFINETLY got the rare "dud" when you tried out the AJ500RC. Mine is every bit as good as all of the rave reviews that so many others have given. Extremely loud, spectacular tone, very woody sounding, crisp, clear. Flatpicks wonderfully. Fingerpicks wonderfully.

It would be well worth it if it cost 3 times what it sells for.

• 4 years later...

Giavanni,

You DEFINETLY got the rare "dud" when you tried out the AJ500RC. Mine is every bit as good as all of the rave reviews that so many others have given. Extremely loud, spectacular tone, very woody sounding, crisp, clear. Flatpicks wonderfully. Fingerpicks wonderfully.

It would be well worth it if it cost 3 times what it sells for.

After 30 years of playing acoustic, and 24 high end guitars later....my Epiphone AJ-500R and my AJ-500M, have left me as satisfied with them as any other guitar I have ever owned. These Masterbilts are like UFO's, they are unbelievable!

Archived