Gibson Brands Forums

my dad gave my son a gibson epiphone special model

slink510

he is 12 years old and i just signed him up for guitar lessons. i wanted to know more about the guitar dad gave him, because i was thinking if it was worth actual money then maybe i would get him a cheaper guitar to haul back and forth to practices, and keep this one in his room to play....

so i have been looking at serial numbers and i can't figure out this one...it is on a silver plate (engraved) on the back of the body of the guitar and it is : 097040874 and it has the work "Epiphone" engraved above it on the silver plate. i cannot find a sticker with a number on it anywhere.

i have no idea what that means.

lol

please help!

and thanks a bunch

I'm assuming it's an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. They cost about $170.

Dual humbuckers, bolt-on neck (which is what the metal plate is for).

Really, the only thing you're going to get any cheaper (from Epiphone, anyway) is a Les Paul Junior (the humbucker variety, not the 57 Reissue).

If it is the LP Special II it's a great guitar for your son to start out on in my opinion. My lil' bro's got one now that he's had for a couple years, and I play it often. They are durable, reliable, and sound great for the price. I wouldn't go to the extent of getting something cheaper to save that one the wear, not to mention that the wear of your first guitar is part of what builds pride in it. It takes some of the knocks of life along with you.

Don't sweat it, Slink -- Epi's primary market is beginner-intermediate level players, and their pricing reflects that policy. If you find a guitar for less, you wind up with "cheap" as opposed to "good value" and that's not a real good idea with musical instruments. Epi's Elitist line is where most people start to pay attention to price point ($1k and up). If you can count (in hundreds) the price on one hand, it is a beginner or beginner/intermediate; two hands, intermediate; if you need more than two hands it is either approaching professional quality you may be getting ripped off.

How's that for Rule of "Thumb"?

thanks to you all for your input. my sister also says "if dad gave him that guitar to learn on, then that's the guitar he should learn on." and i agree with her. she is smart. lol

my dad plays guitar, steel guitar, and dobro. he has modified the petals on the steel guitar and has begun building his own, which are very beautiful. i know that has nothing to do with anything, but i never miss a chance to brag about my dad. :-)

here he is on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZTfCrXTNWI

and here he is on dobro (sound quality is kinda sucky, but oh well)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzBOjuiIY6M

thanks to you all for your input. my sister also says "if dad gave him that guitar to learn on' date=' then that's the guitar he should learn on." and i agree with her. she is smart. lol

my dad plays guitar, steel guitar, and dobro. he has modified the petals on the steel guitar and has begun building his own, which are very beautiful. i know that has nothing to do with anything, but i never miss a chance to brag about my dad. :-)

[/quote']Your Dad sounds like a very cool guy! O:)

Wow Slink, your father does sound like a really cool guy. If it is a LP Special II you could do a lot worse for a beginner guitar, for your son. It's a world above the old Teisco guitars from Sears that most of us old timers started with back in the sixties. Hopefully your son appreciates what a great grandad he has too, but I'm sure already knows it.

- Jay

• 2 years later...

Archived