Gibson Brands Forums

A simple question regarding Faded G400

RayKnight

As far as getting new strings, get some. But YOU have to decide what kind you want for your guitar. Try some Ernie Ball Regular Slinky, I have some on my g400. I also think that may be the size that comes on the guitar when new. But you may decide you like a larger gauge, so try some 11's. Than try some 9's to see if you like a smaller gauge. Try some different brands too. Then have it setup properly for those strings. Eventually you will find the kind of strings you like. Have fun with the guitar! 8-[

I know the Faded series is supposed to have the guitars looking "worn", but I'm pretty sure that doesnt involve the strings... Probably been sitting in a warehouse for a while, or something dumb like that...

As for what Pohatu said, he's right... The "faded" look shouldn't involve the pickup ring screws looking like that... At least, I dont think so... Ive played many of them and none had rusted pickup ring screws...

Other than that, congrats on the new guitar...

I use Ernie Ball Super Slinkies.... But don't take my word for it... Maybe try a set of regulars, and determine whether thats too heavy or too light, or just right..

Reality check !

If you think there's something amiss with the condition of the guitar itself, by all means return it

...but a new set of strings is mandatory with most any new guitar and especially with budget to mid priced instruments.

Like Ty said...get a set of EB or D'Addario XL tens to be going on with and experiment later if you want.

It's all about perspective...I usually go into shops looking for the guitars with dings and such, puts a few chips on my end for the bargaining procedure. See, I would have pointed out the rusty screws, talked the clerk out of $25 or so to ease my emotional distress about having my pretty new guitar in less than perfect condition, then bought new screws for $2 online and called it a day.

I'm still proud of myself for getting 20% off of a guitar that was already on clearance because of a bump the size of a dime that I didn't even notice at first glance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What do you mean 'neck binding'? I'm kinda new to the guitar so please enlighten me.

There is a cream colored binding on the neck, if you look at the side of you neck, just at the end of the frets in the picture you posted you will see it. They are not putting that on the newer models. Consider yourself fortunate, it adds a classier look, at least I think it does.

Archived