Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone EL00

bjstrings

I have one.

Mine is very cleanly made. Nice looking glossy finish and sunburst, typical of the non-Masterbilt Epiphones. Good quality tuners. Comfortable neck and well done frets. The small body size and its narrow depth makes it easy to play in places where an AJ sized guitar might be too big. The sound is old-timey and boxey, which may not be suitable for all styles of music.

Mine had a rather flat saddle, so I biought a blank and shaped it a little to give the strings a better break, and that focused the tone somewhat. Mine doesn't have the warmth or projection of the Gibson versions I've played (I don't own one) , but it's pleasing just the same. I think this guitar is well suited for finger picking tone-wise, (and there seems to be enough room on the neck to widen the string spacing with a new nut).

Red 333

• 2 weeks later...

I have one that I bought last summer; I play fingerstyle blues and folk, with a little gospel thrown in for good measure. After a few months I replaced the nut with a 1.75" Tusq nut from Taylor Guitars. I had to shave the ends off a bit, but otherwise it went right in. It lowered the action just the right amount so I didn't have to fool with that part. It placed the action just where I like it, and provides just a bit more room for my fingertips. I'll replace the saddle next, either bone or Tusq. This guitar is not a Gibson Blues King, but for the money it's great, and these mods make it better. I keep it in an open tuning and I am more than pleased with it. Pretty good for slide, glass or ceramic. Brass pipe slides, sockets are too heavy for action set for fingerstyle. I like the short scale. My main guitar is a Taylor 414ce and some of the things I play need a bit more stretch than my fingers readily permit; the short scale EL-00 helps.

• 9 months later...

I bought my el-00 from the Guitar Center. I called to ask a question about the guitar and the person helping me said they thought it might be on sale in their "unadvertised specials" section. She checked and the guitar was on sale for $200! I immediately ordered it, thinking it would be a good "beater" guitar to haul around to jam sessions w/o worrying a lot about the finish getting nicked, etc.

The guitar got to me in 2 working days! The finish was near perfect and the action was just like I like it. I love the short scale. The sound absolutely floored me. It's got great resonance and sustain, much boomier than I expected. Great finger picking guitar. The only changes I'd make would be a bone nut and saddle...the Grover tuners are a very nice, quality touch. Simply awesome guitar at a great price. Totally pleased.

I bought my EL-00 about 5 months ago from the local dealer. They had a sale going on and I got mine for $200. I love the little sucker. I just installed a new saddle and bridge pins in bone that were made by Bob at www.guitarsaddles.com. Not much else to say except I think this is a great little guitar and it would take a LOT to make me get rid of her.

I just got mine about a week ago, from Musician's Friend. It's a wonderful little guitar, it's quickly becoming my favorite. It's incredibly comfortable to play, the 00 size is just about ideal for for just grabbing and playing. I've never played a Gibson Blues King, but this Epi has an outstanding tone. Not too deep and booming, but very sweet and ringing. I couldn't say enough good things about this excellent guitar. I don't believe you would ever regret getting one.

I have not played an EL00, although I have heard wonderful reviews of them. I have a '94 Epi Blues Master, so I did not really need one. What really kept me from buying one (aside from the fact that I have too many guitars now!) was the width of the neck at the nut. I require 1.75. I was happy to read Jim's post that he was able to replace the nut with one that is 1.75. Maybe I shall try the same.

• 1 year later...

I realize this is an old, perhaps dead thread, but I wanted to find out if anyone else has tried replacing the nut with a wider one such as the Taylor tusq mentioned above? I recently purchased an EL-00 after a search for a smaller bodied acoustic that I could leave out of its case without feeling too guilty. Being use to the width of a Santa Cruz guitar neck I'm struggling with the close spacing of the EL-00 otherwise it is indeed a great value for the money, and because its out I'm playing a lot more. My next choices would have been the Guild GAD-M20 or the Eastman AC312 both solid wood guitars and at the $600 dollar mark I would have felt bad leaving them out for the pets or cleaning lady to knock over.

I have not played an EL00' date=' although I have heard wonderful reviews of them. I have a '94 Epi Blues Master, so I did not really need one. What really kept me from buying one (aside from the fact that I have too many guitars now!) was the width of the neck at the nut. I require 1.75. I was happy to read Jim's post that he was able to replace the nut with one that is 1.75. Maybe I shall try the same.[/quote']

Pete, good to hear from you again!

I think that the EL00 is a nicely made guitar, but I'd definitely have to have the nut replaced. Need more space for my clumsy, gnarled fingers. I think I'd also replace saddle and pins with something that would contribute to just a tad more resonance. Not much, mind you--the comment about liking the "boxy" sound works for finger-pickin' blues is accurate (go listen to your RJ), but IMO, it needs to pump just a little more air to be anything more than a practice box for me.

You need to have a nut custom fitted to your guitar by a qualified luthier. No pre slotted nut is worth the time it takes to install.

Yep' date=' I had a nice chat on the phone with Willy's repair out here in Los Angeles (http://www.willysguitar.com/index.htm) he was a Gibson in house tech and he pretty much said the same thing but counseled me to give my fingers some more time to adjust before changing the nut. There's only so much room on the edges. Too bad there isn't a before and after recording with these bone nut, saddle and pin swap outs. Hint, hint [biggrin

Hola buenas,

Ante todo, enhorabuena a tod@s l@s participantes por la cantidad de cosas interesantes que contais en el foro (entiendo y hablo inglés pero no me atrevo a escribirlo, lo siento!).

Estoy pensando en comprar esta guitarra porque después de años de buscar una acustica que me diga algo - siempre he tocado electricas - he encontrado estas guitarra tipo "parlor" que creo que tiene un punto interesante y especial. Ayer probé a la hermana cara de nuestra EL-00, la Gibson L-00 y no tengo palabras... Aunque sé que la nuestra está a la altura de su hermana.

Tengo una pregunta para los que la habeis podido probar o tengais una... el mastil es en V?

A riesgo de ser redundante... Qué es lo que más os gusta y lo que mejorariais?

Un saludo a tod@s.

Óscar

Archived