Gibson Brands Forums

VJ h V-Mods?

eadgber

I'm a newbie & just got A barely used V2h w/ no mods.Awhile back before I even got the amp I ordered a "V-Mods" kit because it seemed like a good price & I knew I'd be getting a VJ.

The V-Mods kit is: A standby switch ,A Gain switch & Bright switch.

The Gain switch instructions: Solder the switch's wires to both sides of R6.

The Bright switch instructions: Solder the switch's wires to both sides of R2.

Any body think I should not do this? I been reading up and thinking maybe not because I might want more of a tone control type mod.Not sure just by-passing these resistors is that great of an idea now.

I will be ordering the better OT and new tubes and doing the Stand-by switch (which I guess the one I have is like any other).Other than those three things I'm not sure where I'm going from there.

I never tried switching at R2 for brightness. usually people leave that fixed, so far as I know.

but that would be an easy way to do it, I guess. (10K to 30K seems the modders preference)

standby switch is still argued by some.. but overall most people have them.

typically people switch R6 and R7 to 100K and leave them fixed.

Or put R7 on a 500K or 1M pot for gain control.

I have gain on R7. standby, tone control and loop d jr and for me, except for nfb, that's about all you need.

I tried a few different bright switch mods and in the end thought they were a waste of time, esp after I added the tone control.

Bias, tube protectrion *like SGR*, those things will tune the amp for tone and protect it.. so, get your OT in.. and then tweak for tone.

If you have your heaters, for example, above spec, you'll only have your sound until the tube fries..

TWANG

mine has the V-Mods The Gain switch works great but I usually keep it off as it has plenty of gain (I play mine loud) and it adds a bit of noise - the brite switch helps the highs a lot (less mud) and I use the Standby Switch all the time (breaks from practicing, etc). I recommend them - I also put JJ tubes in mine too - mine "Cooks"....

Thanks Guys.

I'll read up on all this info on the forum for awhile.I'll hold off for now on those by-pass switches.

I'll probably be on before long asking annoying questions,because so far alot is over my head.

Right now pretty much all I know forsure is:

* I need to read again about draining the caps.

* The OT seems to be the #1 Mod to start with.

* Upgrade the Tubes

I sat down with my VJH for the first time in about a month. I have a switch setup on R1/R2 for a hi/lo or in a different view stock/hi setting.

I thought I wanted a lower bluesy sound so I switched it to stock r1/r2 values (68k/68k)... I thought this sounds like mud and flipped the switch to Hi (which gave me R2=8.2k, R1=1m).

The R1/R2 on a switch helps open up the sound.

I thought I wanted a lower bluesy sound so I switched it to stock r1/r2 values (68k/68k)... I thought this sounds like mud and flipped the switch to Hi (which gave me R2=8.2k' date=' R1=1m).

The R1/R2 on a switch helps open up the sound.[/quote']

Are you talking about just one switch wired that dose this ? Wired at the "In" of one resistor & the "Out" of the other ,bypassing both?

Archived