Gibson Brands Forums

That new LP BFG got me thinking...

wastra

I have GFS Vintage 59s in my beloved Dot SE, but I was lookign at the GOW Gibson Les Paul Studio with BFG electronics (humbucker and p90) and it got me thinking....

I have an older guitar that needs a new neck pickup and the vitnage 59 would be great. I LOVE the bridge version in my Dot, but rarely use the neck. I've also been considering the mean 90s in humbucker cases for the dot lately.

Anyone ever combined the two? Any reason having a mean 90 in the neck and the vintage 59 in the bridge would sound weird? I'm not going to coil split (which would really accomoplish the same thing). I've already replaced all the pots, and have connectors on the pickups, so it's easiest to just throw a connector on the pickup and drop it in. I'd get to keep the bridge bucker and get that p90 crunch in the neck position.

thoughts? Bad idea? Good idea? I'm sort of figuring for $35, it can't go THAT wrong considering I already have a connector on it if I want to swap it back out and go back to the '59.

A P-90 neck pup with a bridge humbucker is a fairly common combination, especially for players who like to play clean on the neck with a bit of overdrive on the bridge. The neck P-90 will tend to keep more clarity on the low strings at the same settings, and the output levels are close enough to a 'bucker so that the balance between the two tones is reasonable.

i read the title and i thought you were gonna say---- i was wondering how gibson can get away with selling a guitar that was pulled off the c.n.c. machine' date=' leave it looking like CRAP and sell it for 1500 bucks. what a joke!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote']

I agree it's a hideous guitar. They had a Guitar-of-the-week though that was a Les Paul Studio with the studio finish and aesthetics with the BFG electronics (p90 neck PU, kill swithc, etc). I thought that was an interesting guitar, but I wouldn't touch a BFG. Call me stuck up, but aesthetics matter to me...quite a bit.

I find it amazing how Gibson pulls off the most asinine stunts like the BFG and the "Reverse V" and tout them like the world can't get enough of 'em! I don't ever recall anybody saying: "I like my LP and all, but it's way too..... finished. I wish they made one that was a hack piece of crap and cost a THOUSAND DOLLARS!"

And the Reverse V?? Gibson of the week just ran out of ideas...

Archived