Gibson Brands Forums

Prophecy or Ultra II?

Tukinator

I'm getting a powerful urge to go give Guitar Center a bunch of my hard earned money. Both of the guitars intrigue me for various reasons, but nothing's really tipped me one way or the other.

Which one would you choose, and why?

Thanks.

I had the pleaure of playing the Prophercy today, those dirty fingers pickups really sang. The guitar as a whole was much lighter than my Epi les paul, but it resonated increibly well, better in fact than some of the faded gibsons I've played. The satin neck was beautiful, not too chunky and very fast to play. If I were in the market for another Les Paul that would would be the one I'd go for.

I have to give the Ultra II the nod for me. While I really like the fret markers and headstock inlay of the Prophecy, it needs the 2nd volume and tone knobs to look right. And just to bring the Ultra down a bit as well, both guitars need to get rid of that crappy gold hardware.

I bought an Ultra II. It's amazing. I've owned a couple of expensive electrics with piezo pickups but the nanomag is much better for acoustic tones. The setup was spot on and the lighter weight is really a treat. I have gotten a lot of compliments on its looks as well. I already have an EC-1000 so the Prophesy doesn't interest me much although I'm sure its a fine guitar.

Okay. . .I have to ask.

Does it really sound acoustic? Or, does it sound like an electric with some mod on it to make it *sound* acoustic?

I mean, I'm having trouble winding my head around the idea that a Les Paul will sound like an acoustic?

To: Tukinator-

Yes, the Ultra II really sounds acoustic. With the onboard gain, treble and bass knobs, I am using a Fender G-DEC on a c lean, acoustic setting. It is really amazing how much this actually sounds like the real acoustic guitars. Much better than the piezo / bridge pickups. The nanomag is superb. =P~/

Archived