Gibson Brands Forums

Need some quick help

So I got my guitar back from the shop a couple days ago after getting new pickups installed, and I swore something looked a bit off. Today I had a chance to really sit down and practice with it and I noticed the neck pickup was sitting like this:

neckpickupfl2.jpg

The pickup is supposed to be parallel to the strings, yes? Did the guitar tech put the pickup in the wrong way? The pickup itself is in the right way, it's the plastic housing that looks like it's flipped. If so, is this an easy fix (take the strings off, unscrew the pickup, flip it, screw it back in)? I really don't want to take it back in and have to wait a few days for them to get around to doing it.

I think it's flipped. and your pickups seem way too close to the strings.

don't take it back. google stew macs pickup height adjustment, and use their measurements, and flip that mounting ring back around.

the mounting ring seems very thin, to me. so it may be more of a question of the pickup being slanted in the ring.

hard to tell from pic!

sometimes, in order to get the humbuck to sit flat, you can use a little foam underneath one side.. you may have to put it in twice.. but it can flatten out the pickup a bit and looks much better and works a bit better.

Looks like the tech fubar'd to me. :-&

Yeah that ring is on backwards. You can easily fix that yourself but don't forget to rib the guy the next time you see him.

That's what I thought. Yeah' date=' I'll make sure to rub it in.

I think it's flipped. and your pickups seem way too close to the strings.

don't take it back. google stew macs pickup height adjustment, and use their measurements, and flip that mounting ring back around.

the mounting ring seems very thin, to me. so it may be more of a question of the pickup being slanted in the ring.

hard to tell from pic!

sometimes, in order to get the humbuck to sit flat, you can use a little foam underneath one side.. you may have to put it in twice.. but it can flatten out the pickup a bit and looks much better and works a bit better.

Yeah, crappy pic. The ring is angled, and it looked like it was angled the wrong way. The pickup itself is fine (flush with the ring...although, in reality, it's upside down).

Thanks guys.

Is your actual pick-up oriented correctly (traditional style, anyway)...that is, pole screws closest to the fingerboard? If so, since the ring is on backwards, you'll have to remove the pick-up from the actual ring, and remount it, correctly. If the pole screws are oriented more toward the bridge side, you can probably

just turn the whole assembly, around, and screw it back down.

Just a thought...

CB

Is your actual pick-up oriented correctly (traditional style' date=' anyway)...that is, pole screws closest to the fingerboard? If so, since the ring is on backwards, you'll have to remove the pick-up from the actual ring, and remount it, correctly. If the pole screws are oriented more toward the bridge side, you can probably

just turn the whole assembly, around, and screw it back down.

Just a thought...

CB[/quote']

The pickup is oriented correctly, it's just the ring that's flipped. I'm taking it back in tomorrow and maybe I'll try to get some free junk for my troubles.

Archived