Gibson Brands Forums

LP 100 vs special II?

Syrma

Also, the Special has one master volume and one master tone unlike the LP-100 which has the full set of four controls. The LP-100 usually has better (diecast) tuners. The LP-100 is made from solid wood while the Special II is made out of plywood.

Ah, the specs I was given off a website were the same, both basswood bodies etc... (Must have got thier specs wrong,) also the epi site keeps on going down so wasn't able to check there...

Thanks...

LP100 is like $250, Special 2 is like $150, a studio is like $320. I would go for the Studio at $70 more instead of an LP100 but that's me. Mind you the LP100 usually comes in $250 value packs with a silicon amp (the guitar itself is $250!!), and the Studio doesn't; but the Special 2 comes in a value pack with a Valve Junior (awesome amp).

Depending on if you've already got the amp and everything else your looking for I'm in agreement that I would go for the studio over the other two. If its definately a choice a between the special 2 and lp100 go for the 100. I went with the studio and am not at regretting the extra.

I have a studio and I have an lp100.

The lp100 has just a tad prettier top.

pickups are ceramic. But sound pretty good.

both play very sweetly.

If I were considering. now that I've actually got an lp100 to compare..

I'd go for MF's cherry burst lp100 and valve junior amp. 250.00.. they have a black one, too.

that's a heck of a deal!

skip any solid state amp. just a waste of money at that price point, IMO.

If I really didn't want the amp, then I think it's still quite close, depending on what you pay for the bolt neck lp100..

they're really quite a bit closer than I would have ever thought.

However.. you can find a good studio on ebay used.. too.

I love my studio, I respect my lp100.

So, there *G*

Thanks guys, I haven't seen any deals for an Epi LP and a VJR otherwise I'd have bought already! Can pickup a LP100 for £150 which aint too bad... But think I'll hold out on a cheapy of ebay... Standards seem to be going for £200+ at the moment. :)

Archived