Gibson Brands Forums

Buckethead les paul

shmigit

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

](*,) I'm a huge GNR Fan from the SLASH days...I haven't heard a GDT from Buckethead! Not slagging him off, but to say he's "the sh-t" just because he can rip a bunch of notes in a specified time period...is B-LLSH-T!

That said...I'd look forward to hearing ANY of his work that can reach a mass audience appeal in the way AFD did...or "LIES"...or the "Use Your Illusion" Albums did. So...we'll see what "makes the cut on Chinese Democracy" and go from there.

I'm not advocating that MASS APPEAL is better than ARTISTIC EXPRESSION...but come on...there are probably about a million UNKNOWN Guitarists out there that are incredible but never see the light of day because they never make it MAINSTREAM.

Honestly...you're comparing a BLUES/ROCK BASED GUITARIST to a NEO CLASSICAL SHREDDER w/a PENCHANT FOR "MICHAEL MEYERS"...& POSSIBLY MICHAEL JACKSON as far as "freak appeal"...two totally different genres..granted BUCKETHEAD has TECHNICAL PROFICIENCY...but there's no "FEELING"...no "EMOTION" to his playing. He satisfies a few "TECH HEADS" but not the vast majority...and that's okay...but honestly...HE'S NOT SLASH....and SLASH IS NOT BUCKETHEAD...profound words I know....but "it is what it is". Leave it at that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs0C9M5ahvQ&feature=related

*** Evalution of one artist above the other validates nothing more than "a preference for style" on the part of the "EVALUATOR".

=D> I'm a huge GNR Fan from the SLASH days...I haven't heard a GDT from Buckethead! Not slagging him off' date=' but to say he's "the sh-t" just because he can rip a bunch of notes in a specified time period...is B-LLSH-T!

[/quote']

man... didnt you read the entire thread? He can also do a nunchaku routine!!! =D> =D> =D>

so... what's all the hype about?

Your right also' date=' Les Paul, B.B. King and Angus Young aren't on that list they must SUCK![/quote']

Did you read his post?

The list is he is referring to is GW's 50 Fastest Guitarists of All Time, NOT 50 GREATEST Guitarists of All Time.

Les, King, and Young are good axemen, but they are not fast (compared to Buckethead).

P.S. Yes, I did make a profile just to point out your mistake.

Very good point oilpit. I'm not a huge fan of shredders because I believe that they show no feeling and most of em are pretty creepy or just odd. Bucketheads pretty cool but I like Slash more because his stuff if played with feeling

Listen to Steve Vai and tell me his playing dosnt have feeling

Best Guitar Player ever? I dont even have to watch to tell you hes not. I think Jimi Hendrix owns that title' date=' the man knew nothing about music and just..shredded it up. Threw the rules out the window and played with raw emotion. yeah Im watching the untitled song, its pretty darn good, the solo was pretty amazing too.

Hes quite underrated for a good reason. If not for the music, the guy is a dooche, or moron. A mask and Bucket? What a ****. Take it off and play music. Hes very good Ive just learnt.[/quote']

Jimi Hendrix is NOT, I repeat, the greatest guitar player ever. He is your favorite, that dose not make him better.

He wears a mask because it makes him happy (or whatever), it does not make him a ******. He shows up to gigs and performs well, thats what I pay him to do. He doesn't cancel tours because of a drug relapse or personal issues. He dosn't spit on ppl, walk off stage mid set or any of that premadonna bullspit. And as a guitarist/musician I can appreciate his talent, he worked much harder than just about everyone else and to smear him because his look or persona isn't your cup of tea is just ignorant.

Well, duh... everything has feeling. What kind of feeling depends on the listener I guess. Is his playing soulful, moving, and heartfelt? Depends on who you ask. He obviously speaks to you, but to me his stuff sounds like bees screwing in a tin can! The great thing about music is we can all find something that moves us.

I would love to see a Gibson Buckethead guitar. I almost bought the 2007 Guitar Of The Week #9, because it kind of reminded me Bucketheads guitar.But I would of had to paint it white and hack it up...and I could not do that to a guitar as sweet as #9:-$

The Greatest guitar player ever?

no such thing.

Maybe someones personal favorite. I personally like Buckethead. his "Electric Tears" and "Accoustic Shards" Albums are amazing and non-shred.

Well' date=' duh... everything has feeling. What kind of feeling depends on the listener I guess. Is his playing soulful, moving, and heartfelt? Depends on who you ask. He obviously speaks to you, but to me his stuff sounds like bees screwing in a tin can! The great thing about music is we can all find something that moves us.

[/quote']

Thank You.

That was an excellent response. I have regained a little bit of my faith in humanity by finding finding someone that also believes this, my response was overly brief and didn't express that point, I should have.

And yes, his playing is soulful and heartfelt, and I am not ashamed to say that it has brought me to tears. His ability to express emotion and convey feeling through music is spectacular.

I think Gibson wouldnt take the risk on someone like him to make a signature model on his status ' date=' as he is known amongst the guitar world and most fans of G n R but he is just not big enough, i see that gibson aint like fender where they make a lot of signature models on popular musicians , most Gisbon signature models are really expensive and they make it on high profile people like jimmy , zakk , slash , perry etc who has been around for years and are very very well known even amongst average people.

Buckethead i think will never be in that league , not saying that he is not good at what he is ( he is very good)

But its financially just not smart, which gibosn make these guitars first think about

And also pointed his Les paul is so ab- normal and so modified people just wont think its a real les paul.[/quote']

Well, I think it's a little bit of a tough issue to decide. No, Buckethead isn't a very well known artist to the lay-person... but he's extended his musical influence to countless albums over the years, and is without a doubt a virtuosic guitarist. In that sense, it doesn't make a difference whether the lay-person knows his music, so much as whether his fans know his music. That's ultimately who Gibson has to market to. After all, how many beginning guitarists will want to buy a $2000 plus custom guitar when they're starting out? The more seasoned musicians out there, however, are a different story. Insofar as I consider myself one, I'd love to have a Buckethead custom!

Well' date=' I think it's a little bit of a tough issue to decide. No, Buckethead isn't a very well known artist to the lay-person... but he's extended his musical influence to countless albums over the years, ......[/quote']

....and Movie soundtracks...Video game....

Ok.....................................................................................................................................

.........................................................................................................................................

He doesn't have feeling, he can play fast, but he is totally void of feeling.

I realize that you are a shred head who just came here to defend your oh so noble cause of informing me of the wonders of shredding, but I really don't want to hear it.

Ok.....................................................................................................................................

.........................................................................................................................................

He doesn't have feeling' date=' he can play fast, but he is totally void of feeling.

I realize that you are a shred head who just came here to defend your oh so noble cause of informing me of the wonders of shredding, but I really don't want to hear it.

[/quote']

...then why are you reading a buckethead thread?

Did you read his post?

The list is he is referring to is GW's 50 Fastest Guitarists of All Time' date=' [u']NOT[/u] 50 GREATEST Guitarists of All Time.

Les, King, and Young are good axemen, but they are not fast (compared to Buckethead).

P.S. Yes, I did make a profile just to point out your mistake.

Quick correction

GW rated Les Paul as one of the 50 fastest guitarists of all time.

Awsome

The Buckethead Les Paul is awesome, especially the newer one with pick-up covers.

I don't think you have to be popular to get a signature guitar, Buckethead is a great guitarist in a lot of different styles.

I'd like to have a Buckethead signature guitar. It's cool. But for me i would have to be left-handed tho.

Whats up from a new member. first post here.

I for one am a HUGE Buckethead fan I buy up as much stuff of his as I can find because I find his take on music very refreshing. Sure he has a gimmick and that is just part of the art. Not only does he create out of this world music but he has an out of this world costume and story to go along with it. It makes for a very interesting package.

Everything he does is in service of the art form, the whole get up and story enable him to make any kind of music he wants because he doesn't have to fit into any preconseptions that folks want to toss at him. The bigger than life persona allows him to be free from restraints that a lot of musicians feel they are tied too.

I personally love his Les Paul but don't want to see such a great artists commercialized and tossed into the giant that is capitalism. I'm glad to see him where he is at and hope for continued success so that I can keep enjoying his music.

as a side note it is a little sad seeing a group of 'musicians' bash and make fun of other players, even stooping to the level of comparing one musician to the next. What kind of stupid bullshit is that?

when you play with as many people, and as many styles of music as i do, you learn to appreciate EVERYTHING

however, there are some players that push the bounderies of "normal-cy" soo much, that they become a..............

how do i say this? they become a joke, an embaressment, a side show

is buckethead a great player-YES

is he perhaps the uncoolest, most unappreciated (for a reason) most pathetic example of a guitar player ive ever seen-yes

just goes to show you can be as good a player as you want, but the visual is what makes or breaks you!

however, imo, he isnt that good of a guitarist, this guy is better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHth_0cjWpI

Archived