Gibson Brands Forums

Possible Project...

metalhed717

i'm thinking of upgrading my old squier strat. first off, i would like to put a humbucker in the bridge postition- i dont want to spend a lot on it, and i dont want it to sound better than my SG (if that's possible)- so if anyone has any stock epiphone pickups they'e like to sell or give away, please let me know. also, i'm thinkin of gettin a FR wigglestick... maybe. i may even repaint it. any suggestions?

With regards to the pickup, I would definitely spend like 30 bucks and buy a GFS pickup.

www.guitarfetish.com

by FAR the best value pickups around.

They have a lot of choice depending on what your looking for, so go nuts, mon.

The string spacing will be different from Epi to strat,your pole pieces may not line up.

What i'm thinking about doing is getting a set of GFS LIL killers high output pickups that are almost strat pickup size but are humbuckers,GFS also has some intresting liscensed Floyd Rose bridges that look to be a great deal and well made.

Methinks you'd need to rout the body for a Floyd. Unless there's a new style that I'm unaware of...but i don't know how you could have room for a floating trem in a strat cavity.

I really don't want to sound like a jerk, but I can't think of any other way to say it...if you don't want to spend money, why are you upgrading? Replacing crap with crap just gives you...new crap. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not against the idea, I have a Squier with vintage noiseless pups and graphtech stringtrees and nut and I love it to death. I just think you'd be much better served by saving up a little (not even a lot, thanks to places like GFS), and getting something that really is an upgrade and really will make you happy.

Unless you just wanna tinker with it for kicks, which is cool too. No better way to learn than jump right in.

if you don't want to spend money' date=' why are you upgrading? Replacing crap with crap just gives you...new crap.[/quote']

well, its not that i dont want to spend money, just not a lot. i'm just looking to make it playable without sounding horrible (single coils and metal just dont mix). i also dont want to make it sound too good because that would've taken away from the point of me getting my SG (may sound wierd, but thats just how i am). also, some may not agree with me, but my epi stock pups are really great, so thats why i was thinking of gettin epi pups.

Sounds like a bit of fun.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't be too quick to spend the money and make the mods to fit a Floyd Rose trem without changing the nut for a locking type. The tuning issues without the locking nut will drive you insane. The locking nut makes tuning stability a little more acceptable. The FR is a beotch to setup if you haven't had some experience with it too.

I understand that funds are limited for this project but Dimarzio (sp?) (and others I assume) make a high output single rail bucker that really rocks. I think it's called a super distortion. A mate of mine has one in a strat and it really smokes.

Archived