Gibson Brands Forums

Dot Pickguard

ant7629

Hi

Does anyone know if there are different sizes of pick guard for the Dot? I bought a replacement from Rossetti but its a lot smaller than the one that was already on. The screw hole seems in a different place too, so even if I trimmed it down to fit between the pickups, it still wouldn't fit!

Thanks

I bought a replacement from Rossetti but its a lot smaller than the one that was already on. The screw hole seems in a different place too' date=' so even if I trimmed it down to fit between the pickups, it still wouldn't fit![/quote']

Well, firstly, the pickguard on the Epi Dot is an Epi design, not a true Gibson-style pickguard and as such it is a little big. The Rosetti is probably made to fit the Gibson ES-335 and so it will not necessarily work on an Epi Dot.

The original ES-335s from the late fifties had a longer pickguard which extended all the way back to the bridge; when I made one for my Dot I copied the longer style:

dot490498.jpg

The pickguard on the Elitist ES-335 is the later, short style that appeared in the early sixties; this is probably what you received:

ES335.jpg

WDmusic.com has blank pieces.. AllParts has blanks.

I've got some black white black .. three plys. WD stuff. excellent material.

Should be enough for a dot guard.. I can judge by my sheraton and cut you a piece off.

I forgot the price, but this will be cheaper than online.

If you want that color.. if you don't I can get others.

hey I got a nice piece of snakeskin! *G*

Also you can send me your old one.. I'll shape a new one to match it perfectly. countersunk screw holes, etc...

No extra charge for the work. It's good practice and I like helpin' out the epi forum folks.

I've got a plain black piece coming. that's for an lp backplate. But I should have leftover from that, too.

I've got a couple of other colors in stock.. white pearl, snakeskin.. b/w/b.. brown multi ply.. cream, maybe..

something else. I'm a lousy list keeper.

Got a really nice drum/belt sander at an auction today. side and top belts..gonna make a lot of my work faster and easier

for guards! 32.00! whooopee for auctions.

runs like a top, too.

Archived