Gibson Brands Forums

Problem w/ Epi LP

sanfran216

So I've had this blue Epiphone Les Paul for a little over a year now. But something seems to have happened overnight. When I try to use the bridge pickup, its loudest seems to be at six on the knob, and even on overdrive, it's very very quiet. The neck pickup seems to be working fine though. Can anyone tell me what happened and how to fix it?

Hello sanfran,

My first guess would be a bad pot. Check the wiring throughout the guitar to see if you have any loose connections.

Truth be told, it could be related to toggle switch, pickup, loose wire, pot or cap. The most likely culprit being the pot.

I will say that one of my pickups did drop out on me completely. After fooling with the mini connector in the pot cavity The pickup came back....go figure. If it turns out to be the pot you might want to replace them all. There are better pots out there. If you can't or don't want to do it yourself, take it to a luthier. It is not an expensive operation.

Those mini connectors were such a brilliant idea. Makes the guitars easier to assemble but they add so many possible failure points. I re-wired my Epi LP Special and needless to say the connector did not survive the operation.

No hot spots on the pot from soldering.

A ground short wouldn't let anything pass most time.

sounds like the pot just gave it up. Rubbed out the pathway in part.

weak connection could do it, too. wires touching inside can weaken the signal.. bad switch wiring can do it.

If I liked the guitar. I'd just put in CTS or other major brand pots.. all four, and new caps.

check the switch out and if it's noisy, they will crackle somewhat, even the best ones if you use them real slow, but a flip should be clean and quiet.

Archived