Gibson Brands Forums

How do you know what pots you have?

Deadpixel

my volume pot is going out on one of my guitars(not my epi) and I was wondering if theres a way to know what pot is currently in there?

the guitar is a 2000 jackson performer, with 2 humbuckers and a single in between set-up

I figure you guys seem to know what your talking about and Jackson's site has no form or way to contact them.

any help would be great.

Do you have a multimeter? If you do set it for Ohms and put one lead on an out side lug and the other lead on the other outside lug. That should give you the ohm of the pot.

If not, my guess would be 500K. I don't have a Jackson so I can't say for sure, but that seems to be the standard size for humbuckers. The single coil may have a 250K, my Strat does on the singles. I'm sure there will be others here that will chime in that can tell you for sure what you have.

it can be printed on the little plastic piece.. brownish colored.. or on the side of the pot. or on the back of the pot.

often it's covered by a solder glob for a ground wire..

but a multimeter. you can find a cheap on at pawn shops, etc.. that will read from 0 ohms on up..

you have to get at least up to 1M ohms.. is very handy.

humbucks almost always have 500K .. that value lets the highs through..

Your middle pup wont have it's own volume control I'm sure.. so it would run off the same as the humbucks.. however, some humbucks run 300K, and single coils normally at 250K.. so you could have 300K pots in there, though I doubt it.

best thing is to read the pot if you can. or test it with a meter.

TWANG

thanks for the tips..I fell kind-of dumb, all I had to do was pull the pot out. says it right on top "A500k" lol

I'm new to working on my own guitars. next step for me is a rebuild, witch I'm half way through painting. its going to be a really new experience wiring a whole pick-guard together.

Well, if its purple, stinky, and sticky there's a good chance it's Hydroponic.

If it's brown, crumbly and full of seeds its. . .

Oops! I just realized you meant VOLUME pots. Now I feel kinda dumb. . .Wrong forum!

N

Archived