Gibson Brands Forums

Value of my pickups?

Janzu

Not Much.

Heres a little add-on: I have ripped out every epi p/u in all of my guitars because IMO they sound terrible. EXCEPT the p/u's in my sherry.

Why do the p/u's in the sherry sound so much better than any of the other p/u's I've had in all my other epi's(6 of them)?

Anybody have an opinion on this? I would love to hear it because I can't explain it.

Why do the p/u's in the sherry sound so much better than any of the other p/u's I've had in all my other epi's(6 of them)?

I'd say it's because they are not the hot variety, or there has been a favourable error in the winding :) Epiphone uses the "Classic Hot" bridge pickup on almost every guitar except the 335s which IMO sound a bit better ..

I agree with Rpach' date=' the sherry for some reason sounds good to me with its stock PUs.

[/quote']

So what is specific about these sherrys? Are they from the same plant? Different PU manufacturer from the rest of the Epis?

I've been thinking about melting the wax and unwinding "some" turns of wire from a pair of Epiphone pickups, to see if they are just wound too hot or are they really beyond salvage.

I wonder how strong the magnets are..

The stock neck pickup from my MIK Les Paul Custom sounded better in the bridge than in the neck and has a label on its base plate saying its a bridge pickup for other models besides my LP. Weird.

But this explains why certain epi models pickups have less brash and more vintagey chime than others.

I still have the pair and couldnt see getting more than $30 for the set.

Archived