Gibson Brands Forums

pickup vibrating on archtop at certain frequencies...suggestions?

dubstar

anyone ever have this problem? exactly as described below (found on joe pass appreciation

page)...does not come through amp, but somewhat annoying...I was thinking of maybe felt

btwn the sides of the PU and the mounting ring, and perhaps surgical tubing over the PU

bracket screws...

"The only thing I don't like about my JPs pickups is that they seem to

buzz and rattle sometimes, at certain frequencies. I'm not talking about

microphonics. I hear it mostly when I'm playing unplugged. The sound

doesn't show up much amplified, but I still hear it. I think it's the

springs around the adjusting screws, or the pickups vibrating against the

little thing that surrounds them. I've solved this (temporarily) by

wedging a pick between the pickup and the surround to keep it from

vibrating."

thanks

Easy: Use a small rubber band to wrap over both springs or a small piece of rope/shoelace.

Better: Replace the springs by a sturdier variety and/or some rubber tubing. And for good measure stuff some foam in between the springs and the side of the PU's baseplate.

if the cover is vibrating against the pickup, you have to find a way to hold it firm.

if they are metal you can solder them to the base.. but that's kind of tricky as you don't want solder running into the coils.

even with smaller weaker springs you can add about 1/3 the spring length in shrink tubing.. in the middle of the spring

and don't shrink it (heat it) completely.. just enough to make it form around the spring a bit..

and then the when you adjust height it 'springs' at the end thirds.. and is a lot tighter.

but I think heavier springs would do the job, too, if your hardware store has them.

I've run out and found old ink pen springs.. they come in different sizes, too.. that worked better thann some of the flimsier

springs you run into now and then.

since you lost the sound by using a pick.. I'd think it was the cover. all you have to be sure of in any event is that what you use

doesn't dig into your coils.

they should be tight to start with.

if they are plastic I think they're held in by wax and a tight fit.. I've never had one apart.

anyone ever have this problem? exactly as described below (found on joe pass appreciation

page)...

buzz and rattle sometimes' date=' at certain frequencies. I'm not talking about

vibrating." thanks[/quote']

I had that problem..gone now. One vibration was the underside of the pickguard vibrating against the

p_up ring..put some foam sticky tape underneath the pickguard and that solved that. The springs

need to be dampened...silicon seal, rubber bands and whatever else is handy...and finally the

pickup itself tends to vibrate at certain frets/certain frequencies..I just stuffed some acoustic foam

directly underneath the bridge (the neck isn't as bad) and ensured that the bridge p_up compressed

it a bit...acoustic vibrations all gone now and it didn't affect the sound either.

• 4 years later...

page)...does not come through amp, but somewhat annoying...I was thinking of maybe felt

btwn the sides of the PU and the mounting ring, and perhaps surgical tubing over the PU

bracket screws...

buzz and rattle sometimes, at certain frequencies. I'm not talking about

vibrating."

thanks

I recently bought a brand new gibson es335 dot. I have the same issue. While I love the guitar, I gotta say, having already needed to replace a faulty bridge, and now this, I'm somewhat disappointed in the quality control. Needing to fix so many things on a new, $3500 guitar? Not expected

Archived