Gibson Brands Forums

help me i have purchase epiphone les paul custom ebony!!!

ejaykasai

help me i have purchase epiphone les paul custom ebony!!!My AMP is MG10CD Marshall..then when i tried it at home i turn on the OD(Over drive)and switch the gain into 5 and contour 4 volume 3...when i tried to strum my guitar distortion sound

is not good..look like the sound is exploding..i want to have a crunchy sound in distortion how will i do it??is there a problem w/ my guitar??or w/ my guitars master volume or tone???help plssssss!!thx for replying!!!

help me i have purchase epiphone les paul custom ebony!!!My AMP is MG10CD Marshall..then when i tried it at home i turn on the OD(Over drive)and switch the gain into 5 and contour 4 volume 3...when i tried to strum my guitar distortion sound

is not good..look like the sound is exploding..i want to have a crunchy sound in distortion how will i do it??is there a problem w/ my guitar??or w/ my guitars master volume or tone???help plssssss!!thx for replying!!!

Well, seeing as your amp is a marshall MG, it's solid state so tone isn't gonna be great, particularly considering distortion.

But your problem could be what I call the "balls to the walls" effect. Meaning everything's at 10 and you wonder why it sucks, so you push harder with higher output pickups, higher gain amps, and distoriton pedals.

DON'T fall into that trap.

Remember, van halen said "volume IS tone".

back your volume off to 6 AT HIGHEST unless you're doing AC/DC or harder SOLOing.

change the amp so that at 3 on your guitar volume you get a clean, but not accoustic, a clean electric guitar sound.

I'd also suggest getting a tube amp and being more effect-based rather than tone based in your pedals.

Epiphone valve juniors are ALWAYS a great option.

As for pedals, I'd say stick to danelectro for something cheap, fairly durable, and okay souding.

Chorus, fish-n-chips EQ, and reverb or tremolo, since the epi valve doesn't have any of that built in, and it's all useful.

Hopefully you'll be able to figure out what you need from my ramblings!

Nice guitar! congrats!

your controls sound reasonably set. you shouldn't get an ugly overdriven sound at that setting.

try this.. lower the pickps.

at first just about a nickel thickness..

that is, use the screws to put the pickup farther into the body away from the strings.

you have hot pickups. about twice vintage output.

if they are too close you are creating distortion directly into the amp.. no matter where it's set.

this is probably the hassle..

keep your amp on clean while you do this.. you can move the pups up and down and hear the difference, just be patient.

when you find your best clean tone height adjustment.. then add amp distortion to taste.

It should be much better.

Nice guitar! congrats!

your controls sound reasonably set. you shouldn't get an ugly overdriven sound at that setting.

try this.. lower the pickps.

at first just about a nickel thickness..

that is' date=' use the screws to put the pickup farther into the body away from the strings.

you have hot pickups. about twice vintage output.

if they are too close you are creating distortion directly into the amp.. no matter where it's set.

this is probably the hassle..

keep your amp on clean while you do this.. you can move the pups up and down and hear the difference, just be patient.

when you find your best clean tone height adjustment.. then add amp distortion to taste.

It should be much better.[/quote']

you mean i will adjust my pickups?screw it far away from the string??

Sorry to say that, but IMHO the Marshall MG series sucks....especially at a wattage like a 10... It's certainly not the guitar..try it on an another amp, you'll see. If you want a Marshall change for the AVT serie, or get a cube 30 from Roland or a Vox AD30VT at least.

Sorry to say that' date=' but IMHO the Marshall MG series sucks....especially at a wattage like a 10... It's certainly not the guitar..try it on an another amp, you'll see. If you want a Marshall change for the AVT serie, or get a cube 30 from Roland or a Vox AD30VT at least.[/quote']

+1 Getting rid of my MG was the best thing I could have done for guitar tone

I have a Roland cube 30 to practice at home and it works very fine. My guitar is a Les Paul Ultra. I would also suggest An AVT series from Marshall or another good one would be a Vox AD30VT... Even a Crate with 30 watts would be good enough. A 10 watts will never give you distorsion...It will be more like an extra terrestrial big buzz...lollll

so how many watts of amp will be great for my guitar??30W?

I might be biased but I can't say enough about the VOX AD series valve pre amp solid state power amp plus the amp modelling features/presets and the ability to save your own setups.

However the best thing you can do is take your guitar to a shop and try them out yourself and see what sounds good to you, we all have different ideas of what sounds good to us

Archived