Gibson Brands Forums

SHERATON WITH CRACKED NECK - LEAVE OR REPAIR? - PLEASE HELP!

danlopez

I agree AND wonder: Have you even had the guitar professionally set up to begin with? or just play out of the box?

1. warrenty if they would take it.

2. Lutiher if you have the money.

the guitar is and has been properly set up since i've had it

the guitar is over 20 years old, therefore - no warranty

right

i took the guitar to my local luthier who had a look at it.

he says at the moment it is a superficial crack in the finish.

it is obviously in a weak'ish point of the heel/scarf/neck joint or whatever but from what he can see it shouldn't cause too many problems.

if i wanted to remedy it now' date=' his only option would be to crack the neck off, and re-glue the whole lot. then obviously i'd have to get it re-finished.

in his opinion, the joint is still structurally sound and so he advised me to leave it for now. if it gets any worse i'll take it back round there an he can have another look.

so as long as i take care, it should be ok./

oh yeah and he replaced the dodgy tuner for free.

dan[/quote']

I'm glad to hear it and am always pleased to be wrong when it saves a fellow musician some money. Keep an eye on it and if it worsens attend to it. Good luck.

I'm glad to hear it and am always pleased to be wrong when it saves a fellow musician some money. Keep an eye on it and if it worsens attend to it. Good luck.

thanks for the advice though, i too am glad you were wrong (in a good way)

i will indeed be keeping an eye on it,

dan.

i'm done crying now...it breaks my heart to see the damage in your guitar.

i dont know how can you live with such a burden. i myself would have hanged my neck to a rope. BUT NO!!!

now. the insition into the wood looks serious. if it were an arm, blood would be pouring in buckets. The poor guitar has suffered enough.

I would:

1) release the string pressure/tension.

2) get a good box and

3) get the case into box

4)send it to me

i will take propper care of your guitar and provide the confort it desperately needs.

Failure to do the a.m. could produce more damage or death. So hurry!!!

and you're correct' date=' it's technically not a "scarf joint" but it's also not a "butt joint"...it's actually a modified splice joint but "scarf joint" has become a catch all phrase for those joints that are used in necks and making use of short timber...and I have no quarrel or problem with Spud. He's one of the members here that I do have respect for and consideration of his knowledge and contribution...I just don't think he saw the clear separation that is present in the Sheraton's heel joint.[/quote']

thanks for the correction on the neck joint., Uncle Al.

I guess you are having a Stanley Cup welcoming party for

your boys in red this weekend? That last 3 minutes was a nail bitter! After the Penguins got the second goal

they "almost" managed to sneak another one in the final second!

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

" A splice joint is a method of joining two members end to end in woodworking. The splice joint is used when the material being joined is not available in the length required. It is an alternative to other joints such as the butt joint and the scarf joint. Splice joints are stronger than unreinforced butt joints and have the potential to be stronger than a scarf joint. They are more visible than a scarf joint but may be preferred when more strength is required."

So base on what Wikipedia mentions and the accompanying diagrams, could this be a "bevel lap" splice joint?

Your knowledge of guitar history and construction never ceases to amaze me.

BTW, I was attempting a little "tongue in cheek" humour, but forgot the emoticon, so I presume that my intention at a rather weak attempt at some humour on your exchanges with Spud might have been misinterpreted.

I never doubted that the Red Wings would have the trophy in less than 7, (even with Gordy Howe retired now),

but we are still hoping that it may find it's way back to Canada next year. 8-[

thanks for the correction on the neck joint.' date=' Uncle Al.

I guess you are having a Stanley Cup welcoming party for

your boys in red this weekend? That last 3 minutes was a nail bitter! After the Penguins got the second goal

they "almost" managed to sneak another one in the final second!

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

" A splice joint is a method of joining two members end to end in woodworking. The splice joint is used when the material being joined is not available in the length required. It is an alternative to other joints such as the butt joint and the scarf joint. Splice joints are stronger than unreinforced butt joints and have the potential to be stronger than a scarf joint. They are more visible than a scarf joint but may be preferred when more strength is required."

So base on what Wikipedia mentions and the accompanying diagrams, could this be a "bevel lap" splice joint?

Your knowledge of guitar history and construction never ceases to amaze me.

BTW, I was attempting a little "tongue in cheek" humour, but forgot the emoticon, so I presume that my intention at a rather weak attempt at some humour on your exchanges with Spud might have been misinterpreted.

I never doubted that the Red Wings would have the trophy in less than 7, (even with Gordy Howe retired now),

but we are still hoping that it may find it's way back to Canada next year. 8-[

[/quote']

I don't pretend to have any actual wood working knowledge but when you corrected me I asked someone who does have wood working knowledge (but who is not a luthier) and he explained it as "probably a splice joint"...and I'd think you'd be more prone to "tongue in groove" humour but no, I don't have any problem with Spud and truth be told if I do have any"exchanges" with him usually one of us comes away a bit more informed. That was the great thing about the old forum and that group, there'd be knock down, drag outs but because you were dealing with really knowledgeable people once the issue was resolved there was something gained from it all. When you fight and argue with clueless people nothing is gained by anyone.... and yes, there is a parade scheduled for tomorrow and last night didn't end until it was light out (lol) but I probably won't go down to it. I was there in '97 and '98 and it was strange to be in a crowd of over a million but I'm getting too old for that lol...I'll watch on TV..now I only need to find a way to cancel a lunch date I have with my daughter so i can see it all lol...she isn't going to buy any of the excuses I can come up with and certainly not "I want to watch a hockey parade on TV". I do want to express my appreciation to Canada for Ron MacLean, Bob Cole and Don Cherry (and bless you Foster Hewitt where ever you are...) for HNIC. It was impossible to watch and hear the VS. and NBC coverage without cringing. NBC needs to stick to tennis and golf and VS should do what it does best with rodeos, cage fighting and fishing shows. Growing up across the river from Windsor I've been fortunate to have HNIC on CBC since I first started watching hockey long before I ever picked up a guitar. To acknowledge that appreciation I want to invite our neighbours(lol) to the south (look at a map lol) to come to our parade and see the cup because no, you can't have it...even though I grew up wearing a Toronto Maple Leafs shirt with a number "7" on it (and most of you thought Tim Horton was just about donuts and rollllin' up the rim to win)...and dreaming of playing in "The Garden"...there aren't enough Canadian Tire bucks in the world for us to give it up...

Archived