Gibson Brands Forums

My rig is complete!

Gibson CS

riff, sounds like you know what your talking about

i like 1 channel amps because they are what an amp should be IMO, i usually have my EQ the way i like it, and the gain around 11 or 12 oclock, for cleaner sound, i turn down the guitar, for heavy sounds, i use a more aggresive pick attack

i use the effects loop for my EQ, phaser. the wah, and tuner are strait from the wireless into the amp

sounds good, and works good for me,

3 channel amps, and loads of tuners, i think alot of technology has made guitar players lazy

instead of changing the dynamics of their technique, they just press a pedal....

just my opinion, but all crap that gets added on just gets in the way

i think alot of technology has made guitar players lazy

instead of changing the dynamics of their technique' date=' they just press a pedal....

just my opinion, but all crap that gets added on just gets in the way[/quote']

Sounds like the "old school" in you..........and nothing wrong with that.

If current amps, FX, and guitars were available "back in the day", don't you think that they would have been used extensively? The gear that brought us the classics was pretty much state of the art at that time. I wonder what the "old schoolers" thought about it then.

Probably the same as we see it now..................LOL!

The lion share of tone comes from your ticker and your hands too imo. Sure is fun collecting the toys though. Lets face itwe'll always think that there's something out there that we dont have in our rig that we just have to have and I know I wouldnt have it any other way.

I normally use just one channel of my channel switching amp that also has a solo volume control for both channels and use a two channel boost pedal for more or less gain. Last week at rehearsal, I decided to use the channel switching and solo features instead and found it to be too much of a pain in the *** as I kept having to go back and adjust one control or the other depending on how I had the boost pedal set. I suppose I could get it worked out over time but the boost pedal sends the amp into more overdrive without such an abrupt change in volume so I'm going back to that method. I use a treble booster for leads which cuts through pretty well anyway and, if that's not enough, the sound guy can always bring it up more.

As for effects loops, mine has one but I don't use it; it can be switched out and, in my particular amp, it sounds less compressed with it out of the equation. I wish it didn't because I might use a delay for more than just slapback. For chorusing and phasing, I prefer those effects before the preamp because they sound too polite after the preamp.

Sounds like the "old school" in you..........and nothing wrong with that.

If current amps' date=' FX, and guitars were available "back in the day", don't you think that they would have been used extensively? The gear that brought us the classics was pretty much state of the art at [b']that time[/b]. I wonder what the "old schoolers" thought about it then.

Probably the same as we see it now..................LOL!

yea ive herd that before, i think its important to have an open mind about some things. but like for example, one of my favorite albums is the jeff beck album truth, some of the sounds he gets are pretty crazy.

.............. but none of them a computer controlled. i think experiemntation is good, there are lots of things i experiement with, just an hour ago i was playing a 12 string in DADGAD tuning, very haunting, i dig it! but somethings should just remain the same

tube amps, pickups, strings, and wood,

"old school"

As for effects loops, mine has one but I don't use it; it can be switched out and, in my particular amp, it sounds less compressed with it out of the equation. I wish it didn't because I might use a delay for more than just slapback. For chorusing and phasing, I prefer those effects before the preamp because they sound too polite after the preamp.

It really is horses for courses. For my needs Cant beat 3 totally seperate channels with seperate eq's though. Just makes sense. For me Boosts and solo stages etc in amps limit your options to just a louder or more saturated version of the channel your using. I guess it comes down to what your used to

yea ive herd that before' date=' i think its important to have an open mind about some things. but like for example, one of my favorite albums is the jeff beck album truth, some of the sounds he gets are pretty crazy.

.............. but none of them a computer controlled. i think experiemntation is good, there are lots of things i experiement with, just an hour ago i was playing a 12 string in DADGAD tuning, very haunting, i dig it! but somethings should just remain the same

tube amps, pickups, strings, and wood,

"old school"[/quote']

I definitely understand that. I mix the old with the new - I use a modeling amp as well as an "old school" tube amp - Germino Club 40. The Germino needs to played just like the guitar - touch and feel.

It really is horses for courses. For my needs Cant beat 3 totally seperate channels with seperate eq's though. Just makes sense. For me Boosts and solo stages etc in amps limit your options to just a louder or more saturated version of the channel your using. I guess it comes down to what your used to

Heh! More or less saturated versions of the same overall tone is exactly what I'm going for. =) I know of mods that can be done so that you don't lose high frequencies when rolling down the volume control on your guitar (I have that mod on my Tele) but' date=' to me, it's not quite the same thing so my guitars are either all the way on or all the way off with the volume controls. So, I use the two channel boost pedal (Analogman King of Tone) to vary the signal level going into the amp. If I need "more" or a lead tone or just something different, I kick in the treble booster.

Just a question that's nor important enough to merit a new post:

With the new delay pedal, I want to play Welcom to the Jungle.

In my tab book it says put the delay BEFORE the distortion, I'm using amp distortion so....

Archived