Gibson Brands Forums

Black Beauty

soxfan2546

The best thing to do in this situation is to go to what ever guitar shop near you that might have this guitar in stock(probably GC) and pick one up and playwith it for a solid 15 to 20 minutes. If you dont like that one then pick up the next one they have until you find one that sings to you. Epiphones are awesome IMO and they are capable of making great guitars, you just need to "cherry pick" to get the great ones!!

It's not really a good or bad guitar, it's all personal opinion. Most of epiphones les pauls are pretty similiar coming out of the factory, spec wise and sometimes playability wise, but many people change stuff on them. Many epiphone guitars will be very similiar to one another, and almost all of them will sound the same, but the Black beauty will sound different from the rest since it's got 3 'buckers:

The patters are:

Bridge and Middle

All 3

Middle and Neck

Since with this guitar you are always going to be using at least 2 pups (unless you mod), you're going to get a different tone than other epiphones, it's probably going to play similiar to others, but this one will sound different than most.

I guess in the long run, if you like it, that's all that matters. No one can tell you it's it's good or bad, it's all up to what you think.

some people say the midde (3rd) pickup gets in the way of picking.

I don't pick an inch below the srings, so I wouldn't think so.

I'd think not having that section of the maple cap and sound belly would lose more tone than a middle pickups would give off.

also, pickup selector is 3 way.

STUPID DESIGN

middle is never off.

My opinion? Les paul ultra II.

some people say the midde (3rd) pickup gets in the way of picking.

I don't pick an inch below the srings' date=' so I wouldn't think so.[/quote']

Me neither, still I'm constantly picking and scratching the middle pickup on my Strat...

The string height makes all the difference, I guess.

On my Black Beauty, it works like this:

bridge

bridge/middle

neck

And in the bridge/middle setting it gets a similar tone to the bridge/middle setting on a Strat.

Here's a clip:

At about 1:30 I start playing "Sultans of Swing" with the guitar in bridge/middle setting.

I find when I play, my pick does hit the middle pickup quite a bit. It's not a problem at all if I'm in bridge or neck... but in the bridge/middle position you can hear the pick hitting the pickup....... so I have to be careful.

But, for me, it's a small price to pay to have such an extremely cool guitar!!

DSC02489.jpg

Archived