Gibson Brands Forums

JOE PASS Emperor Advice

ant7629

Hello all

I was shopping for a guitar for my girlfriend (1st guitar) at the weekend. She had her heart set on an Epi LP, but after spotting an Emperor, thats it. she wants one.

Can anyone tell me some info and their thoughts on this guitar? The reason I ask is because I don't really know much about them. I had a play on it and was indeed a beautiful instrument...

Thanks

Hello all

I was shopping for a guitar for my girlfriend (1st guitar) at the weekend. She had her heart set on an Epi LP' date=' but after spotting an Emperor, thats it. she wants one.

Can anyone tell me some info and their thoughts on this guitar? The reason I ask is because I don't really know much about them. I had a play on it and was indeed a beautiful instrument...

[/quote']

Well I have two of them and they are beautifully made instruments for the price. I don't know

about the type of p-ups installed on the newer ones, but with aftermarket pickups and

the right guage of strings they sound pretty sweet, and a good looking archtop to boot.

The action is generally pretty good. Other than some minor rattle on the pickguard (can be fixed

quite easily) and maybe some inside underneath the pickup ( new style height adjustment springs), you can't

go wrong with them. They are also a lot lighter than a solid body at 7lbs approx.

You can also add a aftermarket t-o-m for a brighter sound, but even the oem ebony

bridge sounds good on these. A good set of vintage green Klusons, and you got

yourself the equivalent of an Gibby ES-175 at a lot better price.

For a first guitar, she's going to find that the finger tips will get sore until she gets

used to it.

Thanks for your advice... Really appreciated.

I have seen this one on eBay, what do you think? worth a bid? The one thing that is concerning is that there is no label under the "f" hole... is this common? I personally haven't seen one without.

thanks

Thanks for your advice... Really appreciated.

I have seen this one on eBay' date=' what do you think? worth a bid? The one thing that is concerning is that there is no label under the "f" hole... is this common? I personally haven't seen one without.

thanks[/quote']

There were NO labels on the two I got on E-Bay either. There was no glue to indicate

that one had been stuck on and then ripped off on the left f-hole either.

Both are MIK (according to the SN) by Samick . I replaced the p-ups (GFS vintage 59s) and the pots, switch and

wiring with vintage Gibby wire and added an oval nameplate to indicate the SN,

date of manufacture and mods. My custom made labels are on the "wrong side"

(right side with the pots) to show that this label is not an original factory label.

Sorry' date=' here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Epiphone-Joe-Pass-Emperor-Mint-Condition-With-Recipt_W0QQitemZ250258621797QQihZ015QQcategoryZ33037QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[/quote']

Looks good to me. Those vintage red sunbursts are not made anymore. Spruce top

and flamed maple book matched maple back and sides.

Nothing wrong with the oem gotoh style tuners or lyre tailpiece, but I replaced both mine

with green klusons and a es-175 style tp and t-o-m. Looks as good as it plays.

Very nice guitar. I've had mine for about 18 months, I play the odd upscal jazz gig and the guitar fits in nicely, sounding a nice as it looks. Mine is totally stock.

You might also consider the Epi LP Ultra or the 56 Gold Top Reissue. They are pretty light instrument and the necks are a dream to play.

Archived