Gibson Brands Forums

Capacitor/resistor types

Anyone know of a good source to learn more about Capacitor and Resitor types.

I was thinking of replacing a few resistors and capacitors in my VJ combo. But then ran into a problem...

For instance,

Resistors--do you order 1 watt or 1/2 and what type--carbon film?

Capacitors--600v or 400 v

Thanks

Anyone know of a good source to learn more about Capacitor and Resitor types.

I was thinking of replacing a few resistors and capacitors in my VJ combo. But then ran into a problem...

For instance' date='

Resistors--do you order 1 watt or 1/2 and what type--carbon film?

Capacitors--600v or 400 v

Thanks[/quote']

Here's where you can find answers to just about any question. http://www.sewatt.com/node/16270

The stock value resistors in the VJr are generally 1/2watt, which is minimum safety, as long as the circuit is safe. But if something goes wrong, they can easily be destroyed.

1 watt carbon film can take a lot of heat, and will be quiet and safe for most any place in the amp from R1 to R9. The rest, from R10 through R14 must be metal oxide or ceramic (cement blocks) for their fire resistance. R10 should be rated for at least 3watt, R11 should be at least 1 watt, and R12, R13, and R14 must be at least 2watt. But it's common practice to use 5watters for R10 and 3watters for the rest if that's what you have. Makes for a very safe amp when things go wrong.

Caps are different. To form properly, you need a cap rated for a higher voltage than what it has to deal with, but not too much higher. 450v caps are common on the rail, where the highest voltage of 380vDC might be seen at C6. For C1 and C2, 400v rating is the norm. For C3 and C4, 16v is overkill. But caps rated for 50 to 100v are commonly seen. Same for C5, except the minumum safe rating would be 25v.

Gil...

Archived