Gibson Brands Forums

A rather sophomoric question about pickups

Tesla_HV

Are there standard sizes? I've never taken one off of an electric guitar but it appears that the large rectangular ones are mounted by four small wood screws directly into the guitar body. Would a replacement have the same hole pattern?

Are there standard sizes? I've never taken one off of an electric guitar but it appears that the large rectangular ones are mounted by four small wood screws directly into the guitar body. Would a replacement have the same hole pattern?

Ah! A fellow leftie!!

Hmmm....I'd say for the most part....yes....

But there is one bugger about the Gibson pickups though. The mounting poles for these are very long. Longer than the stock Epiphones. They tend to work OK in the bridge, but on the neck position some slight modification might have to be made.

But, I've never had an issue with other manufactuer's pickups.

Yes, I am a leftie. I tried to learn to play right handed but luckily before I got too far, I came across a guy who also played left handed and he let me play his guitar. I knew immediately that I had to get a left-handed guitar. I bought a used Epiphone flat-top and then an Alvarez Yairi. Back in 1979 I almost pulled the trigger on a leftie Gibson Les Paul Custom sunburst with gold pickups and tuners ($600 IIRC).

Anyway pickups for a SG would be the larger rectangular variety correct?

Yes' date=' I am a leftie. I tried to learn to play right handed but luckily before I got too far, I came across a guy who also played left handed and he let me play his guitar. I knew immediately that I had to get a left-handed guitar. I bought a used Epiphone flat-top and then an Alvarez Yairi. Back in 1979 I almost pulled the trigger on a leftie Gibson Les Paul Custom sunburst with gold pickups and tuners ($600 IIRC).

Anyway pickups for a SG would be the larger rectangular variety correct?[/quote']

Ha. Oh, I can remember that battle. You've been playing longer than I have, but I can still remember fighting my guitar teacher about playing left handed. (And the sad thing is...I'm not actually "left handed" so much as semi-ambidextrous where I write with my left hand and throw with my right...)

Anyhows...

Yup.....larger rectangular variety. What are you considering slapping in there?

Well, first, you're confusing the pickup with the mounting ring. When you buy a new pickup, the ring isn't part of the deal; it actually mounts (usually) with two screws and some springs. Some pickups have a three-screw mount and some even have four but most (Gibson, Epiphone, DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, GFS use the standard two-screw setup.

This is a good thing, as the rings tend to vary. Gibson rings and Epiphone rings are not interchangeable.

Gibson rings and Epiphone rings are not interchangeable.

...And I do NOT know why they don't use the same rings!

](*

Sheesh...considering how much money is made in aftermarket products, you'd think the manufactuerer would WANT to make it easy to swap out parts...ah well.

First....OP...I didn't quite know what you were driving at...my bad.

Second: RotcanX.....Have you ever noticed this about the bridge pickup?

Here's a pic of the bridge pup off my Epi LP custom...(sorry for the fuzz...but I'm not a professional photographer)..

[img']http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s239/The_Sentry_album/group1040.jpg[/img]

And here's a pic off of my Gibson bridge pup. Notice the angle on the pickup? It makes me curious as to the results of pickups in a Gibson vs. an Epiphone....and over an issue with mounting rings that cost pennies to manufacture. (I'm of the opinion Gibson doesn't do something like this for no reason at all...)

group1041.jpg

Ha. Oh' date=' I can remember that battle. You've been playing longer than I have, but I can still remember fighting my guitar teacher about playing left handed. (And the sad thing is...I'm not actually "left handed" so much as semi-ambidextrous where I write with my left hand and throw with my right...)

Anyhows...

Yup.....larger rectangular variety. What are you considering slapping in there?[/quote']

Ahhh, you lefties. I have always been considered left handed, same as you, write left, throw right and for the most part, am ambidextrious. I, from the age of 8 have played right handed. The only other thing I do left handed is hold a fork and spoon ! Weird huh ?! They tried to get me to write right handed in grade school but gave up pretty quickly.

Humbucking pups (the big retangular type) generally mont with springs and 2 screw usually, in the mounting rings. Order rings with the pups or you could be in trouble, they are not all the same, although most are.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous! (sorry guys, I couldn't resist). By the way, did you know that on average left handed people die 9 years before right handed people? Or that all polar bears are lefties too?

OK I'm still new here so I'll keep my head down for a while!

Cheers,

Steve.

gibsons are us and epis are metric.. so the mounting rings aren't an exact fit.

the rings mount with four screws.. the lenght varies with which instrument it is... there are low medium and high mounting rings.

Kent Armstrongs ship with all screws, springs and mounting rings.

But the mounting rings are identical. where many guitars have two different sizes of rings. *for height..*

I've replaced mounting rings and pups on my sheraton and epi lp.. the little bit the rings screw holes, mounting holes, are off doesn't affect much.. you may have the screw in at a slight angle but it doesn't show when tight and works fine.

don't duncans and gibsons come with mounting rings?

Maybe they aren't all the same, but I have replaced epi pups in both an epi LP limited edition (with Gibson BB pros) and a Wilshire re-issue (with Gibson 57 classics) and they were a perfect drop in. I did use the Gibson screws and springs because of the USA vs metric size screws, but the pups were a match. Now try upgrading pots and tuners and thats another story altogether.........](*,)

Archived