Gibson Brands Forums

anyone swap pup's out of a semi hollow w/ the cheat method?

poverty

I replaced the pups in my Dot with above mentioned RS soldering iron' date=' dental floss (it was all I had lying around.. Besides, it made the pots and jack "minty fresh") and a bent coat hanger to retrieve the jack when it slipped inside.. (Tie the string around the threads BEFORE removing the nut! Pants go on the OUTSIDE of the underwear! Socks first, THEN shoes!) It took a [i']very[/i] long time... But I wanted to do it "right"...

If I were charging money to do this on someone else's guitar, they'd be better off buying another guitar that already has the pickups they want...

LOL. String is remarkably hard to find! You are an initiate into the mysteries of rewiring an archtop (and WE know that Epiphone doesn't provide the large access route under the bridge pickup).

On my 1994 Korean Samick Sheraton, the f-holes were too narrow for the full size pots so I had to settle with Alpha mini pots. If your f-holes are 1 inch or more at the widest point, full sizie pots will go in with some maneuvering. Mojomusicsupply.com is selling full size CTG Gibson pots @500K for about $6.95 each. I just bought a Dot Limited Edition with a Cherry Flame Top. When it arrives, I'm hoping that the f-holes are large enough for the full size pots so I can upgrade them to the CTG Gibson Pots and switchcraft switch. I'll be installing the GFS 59's pups and a Bigsby Trem also. Good Luck. My pics are at www.photobucket.com/swhttn if you haven' look at it yet through dbirchett's reply. I'll be posting more pics because I f'd up the first try - its a royal pain but worth the effort.

I believe the Dot has larger f-holes. Part of the Sheraton's problem is that the binding is placed inside the normal sized f-hole, making them narrower. I've not heard of any problems rewiring Dots. The pots Mojo uses in their ES-335 assemblies are 15/16" in diameter, according to an email response to me.

Nice pictures. Your template is a lot more finished than mine: I just took a piece of cardboard large enough and started punching holes in it.

My Sheraton II and its SDs is going strong. I'm glad I made the change.

LOL. String is remarkably hard to find! You are an initiate into the mysteries of rewiring an archtop (and WE know that Epiphone doesn't provide the large access route under the bridge pickup).

Actually, in my 2007 Sheraton (Unsung), they did. Not the largest, but it is there!

• 2 months later...

So I have a set of used Gibson 490s I want to put in my Dot and I have two questions:

a) I want to keep the orig. 490 wire in case I want to swap them out:

this video shows how to save the wire by coiling it up:

anyone tried this? I was curious since the questions came in this thread whether excess wire would affect sound

also, what kind of heat shrink would I use on the wire itself (to the wire on the harness to the pots etc.)

thanks

Max

ya the cheat method.

cut the old wire from the peveious pup.... and splice the new one's together.

i need to do it soon.

any advice welcome.

thanx in advance..

pov.....

I need to do it soon also. Do you actually solder two wires together, or just twist and tape.? Is the a connector you can insert between the two wires?

Archived