Gibson Brands Forums

Help!!! String Buzz after changing pickups.

MelodyMaker1

Hey All, Hope someone can help me. I recently changed my pickups in my LP Standard, and now I get all kinds of string buzz from like the 12th fret on up. I restrung it with the same gauge strings that were on it, and didn't mess with anything else, that I know of. All I did was change the pickups and restring it. I have adjusted the action, but to get rid of the buzz it has to be so much higher than it was. I am a newbie guitar player, so I may have did something that changed something, but I don't know what. I've been reading the forum for sometime now and you all seem so knowledgeable, I hope someone can help. Thanks.

Don't worry, whatever you did can be undone with a little trial and error. The neck will have moved slightly as a result of being un-strung for a while.

When you say you adjusted the action, did you adjust bridge height, truss rod tension, or both?

If it's buzzing above the 12th, the usual quick fix is to allow the neck a bit more relief by slackening the truss rod slightly - no more than a quarter turn at each go, then let it settle for half an hour and check it. Turn counter-clockwise as viewed from headstock end. Be very careful about over-tightening it though - it can crack the neck!

Well, with the heat and humidity in N'Awlin's (as you state it), I don't doubt

there's been some neck movement, while the tension was off. And, as Antwhi2001 stated,

it could be pick-up height, for pole screw height? My best guess, though, is the neck

tension difference! Humidity, as much (or more) as heat, will do that! So, if it's higher

in either way, you may have to adjust the truss rod, a bit, to compensate. When it cools

off, and/or the humidity goes down...for a consistant amount of time, you may have to

repeat the process! Roger McGuinn, states that he has to (often) adjust the truss rods,

on his Ricky 12-string, from gig to gig...even the same day, if he's performing in different

parts of the country, with different climates...I.E. Denver, then Atlanta...for example.

Anyway, just some thoughts...

CB

Before you start adjusting the neck, look down the neck from the headstock or nut end. If it is perfectly straight without a bow up or dip down, you want to add a bit of relief. If you have raised the action at the bridge, you may want to loosen the nut ccw as described. Once the buzz is eliminated, start lowering the action at the bridge, until the neck feels right.

I lived in the Houston area for around 10 years where it is very humid. When I moved back to Ontario, I couldn't believe how my Tele and Ovation started to act. I had the same problem you are experiencing. Once I understood what was happening, I was able to fix the problem.

After you make the neck adjustment, check it in about 24 hours. Although your inital results will probably be good, the neck needs time to settle, so another very, very small adjustment may be required. Once you have done it, it is a lot easier the second time.

Good Luck

Archived