Gibson Brands Forums

Impulse buy! Ooops....

BSAKing

I was poking around Fleabay and made an impulse buy of a 2008 Epi SST. Apparently it is the same as the Chet Atkins version with an improved preamp. Never really looked at them before....

I never thought to look here first and don't see a lot on them, so I'll give some feedback on the thing once I get it.

I have to head out of town for a few weeks so won't be able to pick it up for a bit, but it sort of looks like it may be a fun rig to play with and try out. It was not horribly expensive so I'm not out a lot if I don't care for it.

:-

We just sold one of those, brand new, to a customer in the last month. We were all very impressed by the guitar although we didn't really get a chance to wring it out. However it was a gorgeous instrument and sounded good unplugged.

I was poking around Fleabay and made an impulse buy of a 2008 Epi SST. Apparently it is the same as the Chet Atkins version with an improved preamp. Never really looked at them before....

Nice! Impulse buys are the best. I was looking at one last year. Read the reviews and they basicly said the electronics were crap. Good to know they improved the circuit.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I am finally back from hiking in Arizona and had a chance to pick this thing up at the UPS Store.

I have only played it a bit, but here's my first impressions.

Fit and finish - 10/10

Setup - 9/10

Sounds 9/10

The thing is dead quiet at normal room levels. Nice to play. I notice the high E sounds a little dead, but read somewhere that someone else had to adjust the pickup around/under the bridge to address the same issue. It will defintely benefit from installing known quality strings on it. I'll have to try to re-locate that reference I saw on it.

So far, I'd say it is a keeper. I have read the electronics are head and shoulders above the older Chet models... Info on them at www.shadow-electronics.com from the enclosed tags that came with the gitter.

Sheraton II* SST Studio * 64 Fender Strat * 61 Gibson LP Jr. * Epi acoustic * Gretsch Country Classic * Fender MIM Strats

Archived