Gibson Brands Forums

Viola bass question???

Yeah, I have one. I also had one of the Hofner Icon series Viola basses. I much preferred the Epi (and still do). That's why I kept the Epi & got rid of the Hofner.

Yes it's well made. Its got a really nice "woody" McCartney sound (think mid-period Beatles - Paperback Writer, Day Tripper, Rain, etc). I do use pretty heavy compression when I play it, which only enhances the sustain. The Hofner sounded "dead" by comparisson.

It doesn't sound like any other bass out there (I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing in your book but I like it). Very easy to play too with the short scale (I'm primarily a guitar player, but I enjoy playing bass too).

If you want a bass that will cover pretty much anything, you might want to look elsewhere. I'm not saying the Viola can't be versatile (I used it in a prog-rock group), but it's still gonna have that unique sound. If that sound is what you're after, try one, you won't be sorry. It's a killer bass.

BTW: my other bass is a 76 Ibanez Ric 4001 copy. As you might guess, I'm a McCartney/Squire fan, so I'm probably just a little biased :-

As far as basses go, the Hofner-style is the only one I care to play... the short scale is much more comfortable than the Jazz Bass I've been using, and the weight is very nice. As far as sound goes, I like it. Fenders sound very "thumpy" to me.

Unfortunately, I've only played a Johnson version of the bass. I'm not in the market for a bass right now, so unless the local stores start stocking Epiphone's version, I won't be playing one.

• 2 weeks later...

The local Guitar Center had a Viola and an Icon B in stock over the weekend, and I played both - the Hofner won, hands down. It was 2/3 the weight of the Epiphone, and it felt better. I couldn't plug them in to try them, so I can't say if one performs better than the other, but in all other aspects I liked the Hofner better.

Have had the Epi Viola for about a month. I checked out (played) the Hofner. Looked at reviews of the Johnson and one other that is always being sold on E-Bay.

I am very happy with the EPi. I do want to change strings and am trying to find out what size strings (105's???) my bass came stock with. I don't want to mess up the action.

I really like everything about it. I play guitar but wanted a bass for recording and visitors. Everyone has been very impressed with it, with the exception of the metal heads. The pups just don't do it for them. I like the scale. It's very easy to go from my 25.5 scale Tele to the 30.5 bass. I think you have to spend hundreds more to get a measurably better bass.

What I don't understand is how this bass went for $399 5 or 6 years ago to $250 today. What a steal!

musicroom.jpg

**Buy it now!!!

I bought one in 05 and play it out all the time.

I have owned a Rickenbacker 4003, and a Fender P bass.

Take note of the owned, as in past tense.

** here is the disclaimer, I assume you like the Beatles, and in particular Mccartney.

If this is the sound you want, this is the bass to get. I even like it better than the Hofner

(the real one) forget the Icon seris. If I am wrong, and you judt think it LOOKS cool and you wan to

play Metal, or Funk , forget it!!

I've been using the Viola for about a year and have been gigiging with it quite a lot. I play in a classic rock band and the sound is amazing.

I tried the Hofner in the store, but I totaly thought the Epi was by far the better sound. I also use an Epi EB3, but the sound isn't as good. I use flat wound strings and get a real fat sound. It's by far the most bang for your buck.

I push them both through a Fender Rumble Bass 100 and can adjust the tone to just about anything I want.

Have had the Epi Viola for about a month. I checked out (played) the Hofner. Looked at reviews of the Johnson and one other that is always being sold on E-Bay.

I am very happy with the EPi. I do want to change strings and am trying to find out what size strings (105's???) my bass came stock with. I don't want to mess up the action.

I really like everything about it. I play guitar but wanted a bass for recording and visitors. Everyone has been very impressed with it' date=' with the exception of the metal heads. The pups just don't do it for them. I like the scale. It's very easy to go from my 25.5 scale Tele to the 30.5 bass. I think you have to spend hundreds more to get a measurably better bass.

What I don't understand is how this bass went for $399 5 or 6 years ago to $250 today. What a steal!

[img']http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/drcanady/musicroom.jpg[/img]

Hi Davecanady, what is the body wood on the Tele in you pic there?

• 1 year later...

I've been playing an Epiphone Viola bass for about a year and a half and love it for some music. It works for early pop, i.e. Beatles or for 50's or 60's country, i.e. Johnny Cash or even Hank Williams, it has a good acoustic sound that works well for that time period of music.

For more modern music, rock and roll or a funkier sound I use a Schecter Custom 4.

I play though a Peavy or a Traynor and occasionally use a Zoom B1 for effects, rarely.

I use Planet Waves cables and Shure Mics.

I also play a Godin SDXT through a Behringer GMX212, a Fender acoustic, a Morris acoustic a Light Crust Dough Boys mandolin and a genuine shaker from Jamaica that I bought on holidays, funny about that made in Indonesia sticker though! LOL

Anyhow, I love the Viola. Just learning to play Eleanor Rigby on it now and I love how I can almost sound like Sir Paul. Almost as in a flashlight can almost outshine the sun. Great guitar for the money and a decent versatile sound, not metal but fun and warm.

Yes it's well made. Its got a really nice "woody" McCartney sound (think mid-period Beatles - Paperback Writer' date=' Day Tripper, Rain, etc). I do use pretty heavy compression when I play it, which only enhances the sustain. The Hofner sounded "dead" by comparisson.[/quote']

I read that McCartney got a freebie from Rickenbacker and Paperback Writer was the first Beatles song that he used it on and from then on it was his bass of choice for recording. Don't know if it's true or not, I wasn't there.

According to Bealtes Gear, Rickenbacker (John Hall in particular) brought the 4001S to Paul while the band was living in Burt Lancaster's house in Los Angeles during the 1965 tour. It was used "almost exclusively" on Rubber Soul, but doesn't mention what song was first.

Archived