Gibson Brands Forums

Dot Replacements

ant7629

Hi

I am about to replace the pots/switch/jack on my Dot and have ordered the gibson electics pack for ES 335. Will this suffice?

It contains:

4 CTS 500K med SHAFT AUDIO TAPER POTS. 60" WAXED WIRE MONO SOCKET GIBSON ANGLED SWITCHCRAFT TOGGLE SWITCH TWO .022 ORANGE DROP CAPS

Thanks

Really? I replaced the knobs when I bought the guitar, think you can just make them out on my avatar...

My reason for replacing is because two of the pots have been "weird" since I bought it. Do you think upgrading the electrics will have a positive effect on the sound of the guitar??

I'm just guessing on the knobs based on my experience. You'll know easily enough when the pots arrive.

I changed pickups when I changed the electronics so I don't know how much of the tonal difference was directly related to the electronics swap. However, I did notice a marked improvement in the response of the replacement pots versus the stock ones. The whole range of the pots was more usable and had a smoother, direct effect as intended. Also, upgraded electronics can only help to reduce signal loss and interference in the chain. I hope your kit takes care of the issues you've been experiencing.

The caps are on the tone pots. That's how they work; the cap is the component that 'filters' high frequencies to ground as you turn down the tone knob. The only thing I find weird is that they are packing four audio taper pots. The volume pots should be linear.

The caps are on the tone pots. That's how they work; the cap is the component that 'filters' high frequencies to ground as you turn down the tone knob. The only thing I find weird is that they are packing four audio taper pots. The volume pots should be linear.

Is it worth replacing the caps or shall I just stick with the stock ones??

If I was doing it I would replace them since you are replacing everything else. Will it make any difference in the tone, not really if you are using the same size, but I did put Orange Drops in mine.

The Epi knobs fit the CTS pots I put in my G-400.

I wouldl put in a new jack too if you are going to all that work. Get a Switchcraft, long shaft. The regular length is too short for the Dot and the Sherry that I did.

Archived