Gibson Brands Forums

Newbie Capacitor Question

I I just Bitmo Trioed my VJR and it rawks. I'm in the middle of modding my VT999 pedal. One of the capacitors broke. The little leg like wire broke away from the capacitor taking part with it. Can I solder that back together? Can I buys these at Radio shack? What to do?

I'm not certain since I can't see how it broke, but you're best to replace it. RS should have a close replacement - but not exact. What is the value of the cap? Remember, with caps, their values add when placed in parallel. So two 500uF wired in parallel will be equivalent to 1000uF. (This is opposite of resistors)

it should give the values on it.. uF pF mF nF.. and V...

If there's enough leg left to solder to, you can. but be quick and not too much solder.

You can make connection.. sort of like a stick with a sideways roll of tape on the end.. fit the hole over the broken

leg.. solder quick.. and it will probably be ok.

rat shack may have them.

I have some.. so if they don't let me know I'll send you a cap if I have the right size.

they only cost a quarter so.. free.

TWANG

Hi Billy,

So the leg came off the capacitor and took an actual physical chunk with it?

If that's the case all you can do is replace it. You didn't say what value it is or material (tantalum, xicon, etc), but if it came out of an effects pedal its probably physically pretty small.

You might find it at Radio Shack, but if not you can try Randolph & Rice in downtown Nashville, on McGavock St.

Yeah, it's going to have to be replaced, and it could be rather difficult to identify. Depending upon how large it is, the codes stamped on caps can be nearly impossible to read. Considering that a chunk came off the actual cap, I'd guess that it's probably ceramic, which means that it's probably pretty diminutive. You might have to contact Behringer for a schematic, or at least some help in identifying the value of the cap.

This cap was from the Bitmo kit for the VT999 and not from the pedal. It was a Chicklette sized. .022uF. I did find a capacitor like this at Radio Shack. They don't look exactly alike but have the same number - .022uF. I'm assuming this will work?

"but if not you can try Randolph & Rice in downtown Nashville, on McGavock St."

GREAT TIP! Thanks!

You are exactly correct! I want to start a thread about my mods but wanted to say that not only was it easy it was actually fun. As usual with something like this I spend the most time worrying about ruining whatever I'm about to rip into. The VJR with the Bitmo mod now has many different sounds and endless sustain. My tubes just came in so I'm anxious to hear that as well. I'll finish the modded VT pedal today so that should be interesting. All great stuff.

The cap worked for the VT999!

Unfortunately I jacked something up in the tone control mod in the VJr. while moving things around and taking pictures. I went back in and checked all my solder points and redid a few things. All is back to normal in the amp except when I get the tone knob cranked over (think of it is 3/4 of tank) I start to get squeals. I fixed this once before by moving a cap coming off the tone knob. Now I have all the caps separate and can't think of a reason for it to be squealing. I checked my solder points on my knob. It works fine until I crank it over to the treble side. I even cut the wires connected to the switch and pulled it out. The amp worked normally. The three way switch was left on and it worked normally as well.

Can I shield the caps from the board with something?

The source of squeals is usually the OT primaries. Make sure these stay put (zip tie 'em) along the back until they have to approach the board.

What's picking up the squeal... could fill a book. :)

Gil...

Archived