Gibson Brands Forums

New to Epiphone - can you help identify this LP?

MSS

Hello:

Nice forum! I am totally new to Epi's and happened to snag a deal on this one........seller described it as Sunburst but it sure looks Goldtop to me! I am assuming it's a standard.......where would I find serials and other clues to it's age etc etc? I would have rather have the pup covers but they don't seem to be on the guitar. Can they be bought anywhere? Thanks for any info and it is appreciated!

a443_20.JPG

a3bf_20.JPG

normal_a491_20.JPG

LP Standard Goldtop, you can get info on the serial number (from the back of the headstock) on guitardaterproject.org

If you want pup covers replace the pickups with something better (search "GFS"), it's not worth buying covers for those mediocre standard Epiphone pickups.

Thanks for the info Biff..........I am picking up the guitar later today so will be able to date it a little more accurately! I'll see what the pups sound like before I think about new ones. Are the tuners fairly decent on these models? I do dig the goldtop look..........

Mss.

Welcome to the forum.

Biff gave as much info as you can get without serial #.

And yes...the tuners should be just fine....unless you are a young person and want to paint little skulls on them.

No offense intended. I bought a guitar the othe day for my grandson...first thing he wanted to know was if we could silkscreen a skull on it.

I picked up the guitar today and noticed some slight buckle rash and was able to deal down a bit, so for $225 I think I got quite a deal! Actually a very nice guitar.......the neck is great! Will take some better pics later and post them. All in all, very happy for my very first LP guitar........

Well, here she is in all her gold glory! What a great guitar for $225!!:P Cleaned her up a bit, restrung and intonated a bit, had to give the truss a slight turn, and it's all good! The only thing I will probably change is the pups but these ones sound ok for now. I have a telecaster with a Lollar Imperial in the neck so I am spoiled when it comes to humbucker tone. According to the guitardater project, the guitar was made in China in 2003 at the Daewon factory. The finish on the guitar is amazingly good. Even the binding is perfect. I really like the neck but since I have never owned an LP, wouldn't know what to call it as far as size. Reminds me of my chunky Fender Nocaster neck..........here's the obligatory pic.

2003LesPaul.jpg

$225? SCORE!

Great guitar, congratulations.

The tuners are just fine. No need to replace them. Humbucker covers can be had for 12 - 15 bucks, but I agree you should just swap out the pickups. With the deal you got, you can splurge on the pickups, if you wish.

What kind of tone are looking for?

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

to MSS

;) Congrats on your new guitar! If your going to add covers (about $15 ea) make sure you solder the covers to the back edge of the pickups. Use a little flux paste first, then solder with a good hot iron just quickly enough to get the job done. You will also want to wax pot the pickup after attaching the cover. I use a small crockpot for fondue with 75% parafin/25% beeswax. Do the potting outdoors and use a thermometer so as not to overheat the wax or the pickup. 150F degrees for 10-15minutes is perfect. Suspend the pickup on a string through the mounting hole to keep the pickup off the bottom away from direct heat. I pull them out of the pot when the air bubbles stop coming from the pickup. After about 5 minutes of air cooling, you'll be able to wipe off the excess wax with a paper towel. I keep that minicrockpot on a shelf and leave the wax in it. ( I got mine @ Goodwill for $5). It came in handy when my son's 30 year old Yamaha pickups started squealing... 10 minutes in the pot and they were like brand new again!

Archived