Gibson Brands Forums

G-400 and Les Paul Standard

AntiRellik

Hello people!

I need some help over here... I can't decide wether to get the Epiphone G-400 or the Epiphone Les Paul Standard.

I really like both guitars a lot. Could anyone please list me some pros and cons of these two guitars? Somehow the Les Paul convinces me more than the G-400 but I'm still not sure. It hasn't been much since I'm into guitars so I'm still a n00b lol. I need a guitar that will last me, sound good, and be able to play anything with it.

Some help would be appriciated!

Thanks!

G-400 pros:

Lower price

Lighter weight

More striking looks(IMO)

Slimmer, faster neck.

Better fret access

G-400 Cons:

Less sustain

Historically Incorrect beveling

Knob placement different from Gibson

Old ladies will call you a demon worshiper

Les paul pros:

Maple cap=More treble rsponse

Greater sustain than just about anything

More "chunky" neck

Closer to historically correct

Everyone except(maybe) jazz players will be unoffended

Les paul cons:

Heavy as a brick

Less striking looks(IMO)

Less upper fret acces(particularly with the new neck heels)

More expensive

That'll do, right?

Les Paul himself is a jazz player.

Iansmitchell pretty much said all of them.

The ultimate decider is you though. Go to a store and try them out and pick the one that feels right.

He's more pop, but yeah...

And jazz guitarists were the market that flopped originally on the les paul, but when a blues guy picked it up, realized it didn't squeal like a pig with the amp up, that's when it changed.

Roots of rock n' roll...

G-400 pros:

Slimmer' date=' faster neck.

Les paul pros:

Maple cap=More treble response[/quote']

Not really. The G-400 neck is just as chunky as the Les Paul. And I've yet to see a true maple cap on these beasts... at best, if you're lucky, you'll get one with an alder cap but usually it's just the same 'mahogany' as the rest of the guitar. Remember: putting a maple veneer on top of the cap allows Epiphone to legally call it a 'maple cap'.

Not really. The G-400 neck is just as chunky as the Les Paul. And I've yet to see a true maple cap on these beasts... at best' date=' if you're lucky, you'll get one with an alder cap but usually it's just the same 'mahogany' as the rest of the guitar. Remember: putting a maple veneer on top of the cap allows Epiphone to [i']legally[/i] call it a 'maple cap'.

I noticed a difference...

With some, but not all.

So who knows?

And the_sentry will beg to differ as to how functional the 1/16" maple caps are to changing tone.

By the way, Sound-wise, the Les Paul sounds better than the G-400 right? or am I mistaken?

Im just wondering how both guitars would sound being hooked up to the same amp. A lot of people say that the Epi Les Paul is really close to the Gibson Les Paul, and haven't heard anything comparing the Gibson SG to the Epiphone "SGs".

Frankly I dont like the looks, or feel of the SG style, so it was easy for me. [my choice was between a LP or a DOT] I would recomend sitting down, and playing bolth to see what one feels, and sounds better to you.

Archived