Gibson Brands Forums

Add me to the list of AJ500RC owners who get a crack in the top...

CedarTopFan

I've just noticed it. In the same place as the others who have posted

about theirs...on the top, behind the pick guard.

I dont know about the others, but mine does not go all the way

through the wood. Its about 2 inches long, and running along the grain

of course. Doesnt disturb the guitars supremely awesome volume and

tone in the least. Its really not a problem at all, unless it gets worse,

but from what I have heard from others they dont get worse.

This is still one spectacular guitar.

CTF

I've just noticed it. In the same place as the others who have posted

about theirs...on the top' date=' behind the pick guard.

CTF[/quote']

The one I just got doesn't have a pick guard. I wonder if it was eliminated to prevent the cracking. The movement of the top might be inhibited around the pick guard, and the resulting uneven rates of vibration might result in the crack. That's my theory, because my top is very flexible. I can actually hear the top creak if I drive it too hard. At first, I thought the sound was the result of a loose brace, but subsequent investigation revealed that everything under the top is tight and well glued. No, when strummed hard with a pick, the creaking is actually the sound of the top vibrating against itself in the areas bewteen the the X brace on the treble side of the guitar (which would be--below the pickguard).

Given the volume and velocity of the sound these boxes put out due to the super light and super flexible top, I wonder if this is not just an inherent flaw in the design.

Meanwhile, I've been hydrating mine a bit, in hope that the top will not crack if it's not too dry. I really like the AJ500RC. It has a unique sound, and is a joy to play! Love that V neck, too.

Red 333

Stone...

Have you considered exchanging it or asking for a reduced price on the one you have?

Oh, I have no intention of giving up this guitar. The volume, tone and playability are so "off the charts" spectacular that I simply wont give it up. Crack or no crack...this guitar is going nowhere. O:)/ Epiphone would probably honor the warrantee and send me a new one, but I dont want a new one. I want THIS guitar. All guitars are unique, and the one they send might not be as great as this one.

I've heard from others that these cracks, in this location, are pretty much commonplace with this model. And everyone says the little crack doesnt get worse. I can live with the crack...or get it repaired.

Regarding getting a discount...after buying it...I've never heard of that. Do you mean taking it to where I bought it (a retail store), showing the crack to them, and they give me some of my money back?

CTF

The one I just got doesn't have a pick guard. I wonder if it was eliminated to prevent the cracking. The movement of the top might be inhibited around the pick guard' date=' and the resulting uneven rates of vibration might result in the crack. That's my theory, because my top is very flexible. I can actually hear the top creak if I drive it too hard. At first, I thought the sound was the result of a loose brace, but subsequent investigation revealed that everything under the top is tight and well glued. No, when strummed hard with a pick, the creaking is actually the sound of the top vibrating against itself in the areas bewteen the the X brace on the treble side of the guitar (which would be--below the pickguard).

Given the volume and velocity of the sound these boxes put out due to the super light and super flexible top, I wonder if this is not just an inherent flaw in the design.

Meanwhile, I've been hydrating mine a bit, in hope that the top will not crack if it's not too dry. I really like the AJ500RC. It has a unique sound, and is a joy to play! Love that V neck, too.

Red 333[/quote']

Red,

The impression I have gotten is that this model no longer comes with a pick guard. If so, I'm glad I got one before they made that decision. I always want a pick guard on my guitars, and I personally love the look of this of this particular pick guard. I think it adds greatly to the "old time" vibe of this model.

I know what you mean about the unique sound of this model. When I hit the 1st chord in the store, I knew that this guitar was very very special.

CTF

I don't know if these cracks are induced by string stress, but to keep it from getting worse, you might concider de-tuning down to D, and using a capo @ the 2nd fret(for all songs done in "standard tuning").

I habitually do this with my acoustics, and have no cracks, bridge lift, nut split, etc. ever.

Archived