Gibson Brands Forums

about alnico classic humbucker?

steve barnabas

• 3 months later...

That could very well be the issue that I am having with mine too. I have the open version on mine...when I play the neck there is really not much to distinguish one chord from another. For instance if I play the same chord over and over with pretty minimal distortion it's really hard to hear any break in between. Not sure if that makes sense or not...or if that's even an issue with my pickups. But I have been thinking of swapping mine out...just not a huge fan.

I can see if you were playing that type of music it may come out much better than what I am trying to get. Been playing a lot of System of a Down and stuff like that... and just not getting what I think I should.

The Alnico Classic humbuckers in Epiphones will give you the sounds you want for those styles you mentioned. Given that, I think a real limitation of Epiphone guitars are the pickups. Not that they're too bad...it's just that you can put something in that's better. The pups on my Sheraton were very muddy and not very distinct for distorted sounds. That may be what you're running into. My opinion is that a pickup upgrade will give you the clarity you want. I put Duncans in my Epi LP, and the difference was night and day. I'd put the Duncan '59's against Gibson pups any time.

So with this switch, I feel I have a very high quality instrument. Duncan does offer a variety of pups for vintage tones - I'd reccomend the '59's (SH-1's) for the styles you're mentioning. Don't leave out Guitar Fetish. Their '59 styled humuckers get lots of good reviews and are a fraction of the price of Duncans. Good luck in the tone quest.

The Alnico Classic humbuckers in Epiphones will give you the sounds you want for those styles you mentioned. Given that' date=' I think a real limitation of Epiphone guitars are the pickups. Not that they're too bad...it's just that you can put something in that's better. The pups on my Sheraton were very muddy and not very distinct for distorted sounds. That may be what you're running into. My opinion is that a pickup upgrade will give you the clarity you want. I put Duncans in my Epi LP, and the difference was night and day. I'd put the Duncan '59's against Gibson pups any time.

So with this switch, I feel I have a very high quality instrument. Duncan does offer a variety of pups for vintage tones - I'd reccomend the '59's (SH-1's) for the styles you're mentioning. Don't leave out Guitar Fetish. Their '59 styled humuckers get lots of good reviews and are a fraction of the price of Duncans. Good luck in the tone quest. [/quote']

I've got the Alnicos in my Les Paul. They're OK, but not great.

I'm also looking for a good repacement.

But I just did a rebuild on my Strat and I don't have the cash! :-)

I really wouldn't call these Pups Wowie !! but it's not bad either..until you upgrade to better pups they are worthwhile..atleast they aren't that bad..I have gigged with with my Epi with the Stock Pups and it wasn't bad at all..it got me through the night smoothly..we'll i am soon changing them anyway..but The Alnico Classic are not bad..

I have the stock Epiphone Alnico Vs in my 2006 G-400. There's nothing really wrong with them, they can just be a bit 'polite' (or innocuous.) The neck p'up is decidedly preferable to the bridge p'up. Unlike many SG players, I don't use this guitar for out-and-out rock - just a bit of middlin' blues. So the stock p'ups are fine.

If you are looking to change out your Epi pickups, by far the best value are the Stew Mac Golden Age humbuckers.

You'll get a complete set for $100.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickups:_Guitar,_electric/2/Golden_Age_Pickups.html

These will certainly satisfy your craving for blues tones and '60s sounds. Hard rock? I'm not so sure - depends how you define 'hard rock.' AC/DC - you'll be fine, but for actual metal I'd have thought you'd be looking for EMGs (or something in that ball park).

• 4 months later...

Can anyone comment on the Epiphone Alnico Classic Plus pup's ?

Are they hotter wound than the Classic's or do they use a different magnet than the Classic's Alnico II have ?

Do they aproximate the GFS pup's mentioned above ?

Can anyone comment on the Epiphone Alnico Classic Plus pup's ?

Are they hotter wound than the Classic's or do they use a different magnet than the Classic's Alnico II have ?

Do they aproximate the GFS pup's mentioned above ?

If memory serves me correctly' date=' the Classics are wound to approx. 8.6K,

Classic Plus to approx. 13.8K, same magnet. Both my Epi LP Studio and

Epi LP Classic came with Classic/Neck, Classic Plus/Bridge. Turns out that

when you flip the pups over, for BOTH guitars it said "LP Classic Bridge" and

"LP Classic Neck". Same pickups in both gits. In the Studio, sounded Muddy, but

sounded Decent in the Classic. Only difference was the body wood. Solid Mahog

for studio, Mahog/quilted Maple top for Classic. I have since then installed Gibson

498T/490R sets in both guitars.

[img'][/img]pickups_output-chart.jpg

Archived