Gibson Brands Forums

Cant find these Locking Grovers?

Geetar_Axl

On my strat which uses Sperzel, there is a ball bearing inside that holds the string in place when you turn the knobs in the back.

I found these...

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_Full-size_Locking_Tuning_Machines.html

Here are the locking ones, the seem to have no knobs to work like my strat....

http://www.grotro.com/LockingRotoInstructions.htm

The looks like direct retrofit from stock Grovers but with 18:1 ratio rather then 14:1. I would call them to make sure.

if you have the older Klusons then you have to drill. AFAIK

How accurate the tunning head is, the higher the ratio the better as long as the gears are good. Grovers use helix gears and they can not slip even in 20 years from now. If i needed tuners i would get the locking grovers shown here.

Grover makes BOTH standard Rotomatics, and Locking (18:1) versions that look

basically identical! So, from a photo, it would be very difficult to tell, what

was on that guitar. If they state it's "locking," and what you end up with

is just the standard...return it, or demand to have them replaced. As to the

button size or shape, that too, can be mixed and matched.

www.grotro.com

CB

Sperzels now suck... too much slop in the gearing.

Planet Waves locking and self-trimming tuners suck, though the trimming feature is wicked-cool! Too much slop in the gearing.

Grover's self-locking tuners, in which an outer post with an offset hole clamps the string against an inner post with an offset hole, work amazingly well, and require NO extra turns of wire at all! Pull the string tight, and start to tune it. As it pulls up to pitch, the outer post rotates and clamps the string like a vise! There's virtually no slack in the gears at all, and they're practically tight going up or down in pitch (with a little wiggle on the string to ensure it's set good against the post and saddle, just like always).

I've owned one set of Sperzels, and sold them. I've owned two sets of Planet Waves lockers, and sold one (no one bid on the others on eBay). I've got one set of the Grovers, and if I can ever find a set to fit my new LP with little drilling, I'll buy them in a heartbeat! Best tuner evuh!

Archived