Gibson Brands Forums

joe pass epiphone jazzbox

renin71

just picked on of these up, great guitar for the price. Wanted to do some mods. I don't like the pickguard and want to change to a black pickguard, like a L-5. ANy suggestions where I could get one of these?

Also any suggestions on the pickups? they sound thin to me. I thought about 57 classic, but I already have them in my GIbby's and was thinking of either benedetto pickups or kent armstrong.

any input would be appreciated and pics of any modded joe pass epiphone guitars,

just picked on of these up' date=' great guitar for the price. Wanted to do some mods. I don't like the pickguard and want to change to a black pickguard, like a L-5. ANy suggestions where I could get one of these?

Also any suggestions on the pickups? they sound thin to me. I thought about 57 classic, but I already have them in my GIbby's and was thinking of either benedetto pickups or kent armstrong.

any input would be appreciated and pics of any modded joe pass epiphone guitars,

[/quote']

I have had all three in hollowbodies... A benedetto, gibson 57, and Kent Armstrong...

-Kent armstrongs tended to be too bright for me... They are good, but not good enough for me...

-Benedettos are awesome... But keep in mind they are weak.... You will need to crank the amp more and that may expose more hum from your amp than what you want....

-57 Classics are my favorite pickup... So I am biased on those...

here's mine:

Joe Pass Emperor II:

Your guitar was made at the

Samick Plant, Korea

July 1994

modifications:

1. frequensator tailpiece...I wanted to reference epiphone's history

2. chrome and black top hat knobs like the standard broadway

3. removed pickguard, which was warped

4. fix bridge and set intonation

5. truss rod adjustment and set-up

6. rewire pots for standard RH operation...full tonal range restored!

7. lower action and restring w/ D'Addario EXL110 10-46 (I'm not a jazz player)

8. first a pick, then a bit of foam wedged in next to neck PU to stop sympathetic buzz

9. PU height and pole pieces dialed in

10. new caps, I think

the pickups might get swapped out in the future, but they sound OK...I wanted to add imperial

buttons, but the tuners are not grovers...the imperials went on my EJ300S...

fun to play unplugged and electric...color is a little off in this photos, much nicer in person:

JP1.jpg

JP2.jpg

JP4.jpg

JP3.jpg

JPfull.jpg

renin71 asked:

I don't like the pickguard and want to change to a black pickguard, like a L-5. ANy suggestions where I could get one of these?

The L-5CES was never issued with a black pickguard --- always faux tortoiseshell with multi-ply binding. You could get a black one custom-made, but they are HELLA pricey --- $200 isn't unusual for a custom-made bound pickguard.

Here's a link to a place that makes them: http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardian/Archtop.html

Or you could get a b-w-b-w-b bevel cut one (like the ES-175) for a lot less.

Cheapest solution would be a $4 bottle of Goo-Gone and a soft cloth to rub out the signature.

I bought my Joe Pass used. The previous owner made an ebony pickguard that looks nice. I can't imagine it would be too hard to make this as long as you have the original pickguard and some patience.

I plan to put a 57 classic in the neck position next week.

• 1 month later...
here's mine:

Joe Pass Emperor II:

Your guitar was made at the

Samick Plant' date=' Korea

July 1994

modifications:

3. removed pickguard, which was warped

4. fix bridge and set intonation

5. truss rod adjustment and set-up

6. rewire pots for standard RH operation...full tonal range restored!

7. lower action and restring w/ D'Addario EXL110 10-46 (I'm not a jazz player)

8. first a pick, then a bit of foam wedged in next to neck PU to stop sympathetic buzz

9. PU height and pole pieces dialed in

10. new caps, I think

the pickups might get swapped out in the future, but they sound OK...I wanted to add imperial

buttons, but the tuners are not grovers...the imperials went on my EJ300S...

fun to play unplugged and electric...color is a little off in this photos, much nicer in person:

[/quote']

Hi dubstar.

I've just picked up an identical left handed JP this week. One thing I've noticed is that the tone controls on the pots are pretty much on or off. What was the rewiring you did to get the tonal range you describe?

It's a very impressive guitar by the way. Nicely built and great action. I'm putting in a couple of '57 classic PU's next week.

they are most likely standard RH pots "reverse wired" so that they work "correctly" for a lefty...for example, turn down (towards the floor) for more volume, less treble cut, etc...on a RH, the standard operation is clockwise for more volume / less treble cut (correct?)...so they wire the pots to mirror image this on the lefties, which then turn counterclockwise for the same operation...only problem is the pots do not work correctly that way...apparently there are LH pots but they are not common...just swap the outer wires (I think) and you will have full tonal range restored...only thing is you will now turn clockwise (up for volume swells, etc) but you get used to that quickly...confusing to write out, I could show in person in 2 seconds...the fender discussion pages have a few good threads on this in the lefty room

modifications:

JP3.jpg

WOW!! I like what you did regarding the tail piece and the knobs. If you don't mind me asking' date=' where did you get the parts from?

I'm definitely going to replace the knobs, those look 100% better and possibly the tail piece too as that classes up an already classy guitar.

Here is a new one that I picked up about a month ago:

[img']http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg218/maccraw/Joe%20Pass/sherri_03_003.jpg[/img]

Archived