Gibson Brands Forums

pickup positions. neck and bridge = mid?

Stevie Nazarenie

i'm just contemplating some more mods. now on a 5 way switch type guitar there is no neck and bridge combo unless you do the gfs 13 sound strat mod like i have. so there is a mid pickup. but on a our epi types with a 3 way switch it's neck, combo and bridge. we don't have a mid pickup unless you go for those black beautys etc. i have always assumed that the neck and bridge combo (mid position) is the same sound as you would get from a mid pickup. am i right in this or is it worth adding a third pickup for variation?

i have always assumed that the neck and bridge combo (mid position) is the same sound as you would get from a mid pickup. am i right in this or is it worth adding a third pickup for variation?

No, it's not the same sound. Is the 3rd pickup worth it?...depends on if you like it or not.

any evidence on it? i guess a comparison could be made from a mid position 2 pickup guitar and a 3 pickup guitar with mid pickup on but i guess no one has wiring like that on 2 guitars here? i think it's not likely for someone to have the same guitars wired this way. i think 3 pickup epi guitars are wired for different combos but not this one? but has anyone got actual experience of this?

doh! i just realised i have that capability since i did an upgrade on a strat. they are close enough although not exact copies i will try them out tommorow. #-o

i'm just contemplating some more mods. now on a 5 way switch type guitar there is no neck and bridge combo unless you do the gfs 13 sound strat mod like i have. so there is a mid pickup. but on a our epi types with a 3 way switch it's neck' date=' combo and bridge. we don't have a mid pickup unless you go for those black beautys etc. i have always assumed that the neck and bridge combo (mid position) is the same sound as you would get from a mid pickup. am i right in this or is it worth adding a third pickup for variation?[/quote']

prolife,

The tone is going to be different. With a middle pickup, you're getting the vibration from *that point* on the string; with a combination of neck and bridge pickups, you're getting the vibration from *two different points* on the string. :-)

Hope that helps!

-Bob

I've installed middle pups on an Epi LP standard and A Tele Custom which had 2 humbuckers as stock. Also owned a 3 pup BB.

100_1113.jpg

100_0443.jpg

Wish I'd still got the goldtop....

Soundwise, with humbuckers the difference is very subtle. I admit I do it chiefly for looks, and a lot of the time I have the middle pup switched off.

The only way you'll get any interesting new tones out of 3rd humbucker would be if you did what Pete Townshend used to do, and split the coils on the middle one to get that Quadrophenia tone. That involves at least one more switch.

i gave it a go on my 13 sound strat. which has 13 pickup combos. (gfs) i can get close by having both neck and bridge and turning the neck treble down. but there is a slight difference. it seems pickup placement is one thing but pickup type and strength is also a factor. yeah, i just realised these come into play.

as i'm getting a custom scratchplate http://www.greasygroove.com/proddetail.php?prod=01434-PG-F-S-D-ST and it has a nice design to it i'm leaving the mid pickup out and going with 2 p90's. so i can have the both on combo.

or i could go with this mod: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180269927370&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

i may be getting a guitar with 3 p90 pickups later in the year so i have this for now.

the above mod is like the one you mention. i think.

if that is not stock wiring what happens on a bb? i think a 5 way pickup selector would rock more! =D>/

The stock wiring is the traditional 2 pickup 2 tone/2volume setup with the middle pickup in parallel with the bridge in the middle switch position. A five way is fine but if you have the stock LP control panel the above is the best factory looking option IMHO.

My SG custom has a 3 PU set up and it has three vol. and one tone control' date=' making it easy to ajust levels. I thought all three PU epis were like that, i guess not. Stan.[/quote']

Nope this is the standard Gibby 3 PUP LP setup.LPCustom_standard_circuitdiagram.jpg

One thing that people often overlook it that it's a slightly different toggle switch!:-k

Archived