Gibson Brands Forums

New Dot Studio

L1Picker

Alright! Have you had much experience (yet) playing it...at a decent volume, to check out the pickups.

There has been a lot of talk about the the bridge pickup being "too Hot." Don't own one, myself...so,

I can't say, one way or the other. And, it might be just their own preferences, too? Anyway...looks nice!

And, pickups can be changed, if wanted/needed...anytime.

Enjoy!

CB

I for one found the pickups very muddy and the bridge was way too hot and hard to tame. After looking at all the options I finally decided to replace mine with a pair of GFS Mean 90's and the guitar sounds awesome. Especially through my BC30 with yhe Ibanez Tube King.

Whether you go for H/B's or P90's I'd definitely recommend dumping the stock pups as they really let down what is a fantastic guitar.

CB...

I'm a firm believer in the use of volume/tone controls to dial in what I'm looking for, and so far, I've had no problems with the stock pups. I've been playing around and have gotten some very good tone settings for the Doobie Brothers and the Rolling Stones. I've also gotten some very good blues tone. I don't park a lot on the bridge pickup but I do use it in combination with the neck pickup at times and haven't found it to be too hot at all.

CB...

I'm a firm believer in the use of volume/tone controls to dial in what I'm looking for' date=' and so far, I've had no problems with the stock pups. I've been playing around and have gotten some very good tone settings for the Doobie Brothers and the Rolling Stones. I've also gotten some very good blues tone. I don't park a lot on the bridge pickup but I do use it in combination with the neck pickup at times and haven't found it to be too hot at all.

[/quote']

Hey, that's great! Volume and tone controls are (too often) overlooked completely. I'm too, like using them...

a LOT! And, the amp controls, too. Not one of those who just puts everything on 12 and "wails!" LOL! I have

a tendency to use the middle and neck pickup, more...on Strats...the bridge is (sometimes) too thin, sounding...

but again, with a little adjusting (I had my Strat rewired to allow the middle tone control to control the bridge

pickup as well), I can get a decent tone, there..too. But I prefer (mostly) the middle or neck pickups...and points

inbetween. On a LP or SG...and even 335 types, I use all positions...but mostly the middle and bridge..as the

neck pickup can get a bit "muddy," at times. But again...all within compensation...by either guitar or amp tone and volume. And, of course, a lot of this is "personal taste," too.

CB

The volume on my guitars rarely go much above 5 or 6 and I'm not one of those who habitually dials in maximum gain on the amp but I still found the oem pickups muddy and hard to tame - much worse than the original ones on my lp and I didn't think too much of those either.

I know what you mean though about those players who automatically winds everything to 11, we get them down the jam now and again. They then wonder why they have no headroom as the only place they can go is quieter.

Another observation. It seems that every Epiphone I've purchased, Elite series not included, was in need of a new nut. The others were soft, hollow plastic and had burrs hanging out on the fretboard side. This nut is much harder, has no burrs, and seems to be what a nut should be. I won't be swapping this out anytime soon either. This thing is a true bargain.

I almost bought one of those the other day, without even plugging it in, it just seemed that nice. From all this talk, I'd expect to start by lowering the pickups all the way down and go from there. Nice to hear about the nut being good.

I've found a bit of buzzing from the high E on the 18th fret. It's not perceptible when plugged in, only when unplugged, so it's very minor. Should be easy to remedy. I can't put this thing down, and if that's the worst it has to offer, I'm still a happy camper.

• 1 month later...

I've had another month with this guitar and I still wouldn't change a thing. I'm sure those that don't like the pickups never will, but I'm happy to look at the guitar and NOT have to think about what needs swapped out in order to be happy with it.

Here's the bridge pickup with some dirt added...

Shine

I've had another month with this guitar and I still wouldn't change a thing. I'm sure those that don't like the pickups never will' date=' but I'm happy to look at the guitar and NOT have to think about what needs swapped out in order to be happy with it.

Here's the bridge pickup with some dirt added...

Shine

[Must.......control......GAS]

Archived