Gibson Brands Forums

Factory B-Stock

RichardLionhart

Greetings everyone!

I was going to place an order for a new guitar this weekend, but I wanted to ask a quick question. I've been flip-flopping between the Limited Edition 1966 G-400 or a Les Paul Standard. After a lot of searching online, I found where I could purchase an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top in honey burst for $499. This is a reputable online retailer, but the item is a "factory B-stock". I know these are supposed to be just fine for resale, but I wanted to see if anyone here has had experience with b-stock items. I'm fully aware that I have 45 days to return the item if I don't like it, so that is a plus for me. I just hate to go through the hassle if it's a "given" that b-stocks are notorious for being undesirable products. Any thoughts, experience, or words of wisdom?

Thanks for the advice fellas. I think I may go ahead and jump on that Les Paul deal. I appreciate your words for me to try out the guitars at my local shop CodeMonk. I've been in there twice over the past two weeks and have been having a tough time deciding between the LP and an SG. I don't play guitar at all, and this will be my very first one. I was happy with the way both of them felt (the LP was a little heavy, of course), and both of them sounded similar to me when played by my salesperson. They have some nice models in stock, but I'm able to get a better deal online, and I'm also able to avoid NC's horrible sales tax. =/

I'll post a pic or two when my new girl arrives in the mail. Out of curiosity, are there any other proud and happy B-stock owners reading?

My LP is B Stock (minor flaw in the finish on the back). I love it.

I've also modded it a bit. I just can't leave anything I buy stock : )

One thing to keep in mind as well...

You can take 2 identical looking guitars (Same Manufacturer, made the same year-week at the same plant, color, components, etc.) and they can feel entirely different.

Although I had far more luck finding an LP I liked. Only took about 4 or 5 until I found the one for me. I must have played well over 50 strats until I found one I liked.

Hi. Here are my newbie player's 0.02 Euros.

Buy a guitar which clearly shows who manufactured the pick-ups. Thus you can rest assured that you don't have to change pick-ups ( or you can be sure that changing them is not worth it ).

And for 499 dollars you might also want to see real Gibsons. Gibson LP standards have lowered in price last days quite nicely. At least I would keep this option in mind as certain present time is coming closer at December.

I got a B-stock Dot from MF for cheap, $250. There were only a couple of very minor flaws. The guitar plays great and is one of my "go to" guitars now. The money I saved I put into upgrades. I wouldn't by a "B-stock" from E-bay, get it from a reputable online dealer. MF has a 45 day money back return policy, so you really can't go wrong.

I bought a B-stock ebony Sheraton from MF. For the first few days, I couldn't find the flaw. Then I noticed that, if the lighting was just right, there was a minor area of unevenness in the finish (that only shows up because the guitar is shiny black) that makes the reflection look a bit odd. Like an unevenness in a mirror that causes a bit of distortion. Nobody would notice it if they weren't looking for it. I wouldn't think twice about performing in public with it.

Archived