Gibson Brands Forums

AJ500RC's are in, get 'em now or forever hold your peace!

YerDugliness

Just got this in my email inbox from my Sweetwater dot com rep:

"Hi Doug,

Dance your jig, I checked out the guitar and it looks great, and we have the case

so it's ready to go as soon as you give me the word.

Mark Brody

your Sweetwater Sales Engineer

800.222.4700 ext. 1381"

I had mentioned I'd post it on this board when it happened, but if Epi is serious about this model being discontinued, all y'all better get on the stick and get one now while this shipment is still in the stores. There may never be any more, we'll have to see.

Good hunting, guys and gals....I assure you, you could do no better than to order from Mark at Sweetwater, give him a call and you'll see what I mean about his determination and service :) !

Dugly :D/

[edit--DARN, the "dancing" smiley isn't working, but you can bet I'm dancing that jig I mentioned!]

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dug:

For all you've been through for--how long's it been now?--most sincere congratulations on you NGD, and welcome to the 12-fretter brotherhood!

I'm really happy for you, man! Enjoy! With all the "discontinued" talk, we may have a genuinely rarified classic on our hands!

Thanks, guys...I spoke to Mark today, it shipped today, should be in mid-week next week via FedEx ground.....I've waited SO long, a few days more won't make any difference, that's for sure!! Mark had Sweetwaters' tech department check it out for the bridge issue, played it a bit himself, and declared it perfect.....YEE-HAW (that's Texan for "I'm so happy I could just SHEET!!).

Mark also mentioned he had already received one call from someone else wanting one, whoever it was I hope he was able to help you out, too.

To quote the Grateful Dead....."...what a long, strange road it's been".

When it gets in, I'll post photos of it, as well as photos of my other slot-headed 12-fretter, a Breedlove custom shop Revival 000, nice.

Again, YEE-HAW!!!

Dugly [-o<

Dug:

With all the "discontinued" talk' date=' we may have a genuinely rarified classic on our hands![/quote']

I just checked Epi's webpage a minute ago, still says "Discontinued". It would be very interesting to hear the whole story behind that decision, wouldn't it? Yet, I'm betting Gibson/Epiphone is :) !

And, oh, to answer the other question, it's been about 2 years, I know for the entire year of 2007 I looked and have had the custom order in with Sweetwater since earlier this year and we're getting close to making it through 2008....but they have been unavailable for longer than that, I visited an Epi dealer in Houston at Christmas, 2006 and was told there were none available or they would be stocking them....I showed one of Austin's vintage guitar dealers the Epi webpage for the AJ500RC and he went gaga for it, said he could sell them by the boatloads if he could get them.....

Oh, yeah, did I mention how stoked I am?

YEE-HAW ! ! !

Dugly O:)

As of yesterday the Sweetwater website showed none in stock. Ditto for everywhere else I checked. Personally' date=' I don't believe we'll see them again, other than scratch n dents.[/quote']

Call Mark, I don't think this is a standard stock item, mine was classified as a "Special Order". If Gibson/Epi has any, Mark can find out quickly and he's great about communicating with a customer.

Mine is due to be delivered today, I'll post when it gets here to let you know if it is a "scratch n dent" model, it should not be such as I expect it to be in new condition.

Good Luck....

Dugly :-k

Geez' date=' unavailable in Texas in '06? I tried mine out in Columbus, OH in May of '07--one was in stock. When I called back to order it, they had 2 in! BTW, it's the only place I've ever seen 'em![/quote']

Wow, that's very surprising to me, I mean I've been pestering the bejesus out of the Gibson dealer in Austin every time I go up there to see my daughter. They have been attempting to get a commitment from their Gibson connection to deliver one since before Christmas of 2006, haven't been able to get that.

I did speak to Mark by phone this morning about an hour ago, he can't send the purchasing department on a goose chase until he talks to the potential buyer, sorry, I tried, but I understand the constraints of his business. Call him....

BG, was this a B & M shop or an internet dealer (I'm sure most B & M's offer to sell over the net, just wondering if it was an established retail establishment with a store--sure sounds like it from your description)? Wonder if they are still stocking them--I suspect Gibson would take care of their storefront distributors before they would even honor a special order request from an internet based dealer. Were I a Gibson dealer (and I have spoken to one of the largest music shops in Austin, he had to relinquish his Gibson dealership b/c of the rather extreme demands Gibson made in order to continue his dealership status), I would expect, no.....demand, that I got first call and best treatment in exchange for honoring their demands (it's been a while, but as I recall Gibson demanded that >60% of the store stock must be Gibson in order for the dealership status to be maintained.....in today's diversified market, that's a pretty stringent requirement, IMHO).

Dugly :-k

Personally' date=' I don't believe we'll see them again, other than scratch n dents.[/quote']

Well, Larry, it's here and I can assure you this is no scratch n dent piece. There is not a blemish of any kind on the guitar--the only issue I had with the guitar was whoever did the factory "set-up" didn't know how to string up a slot-headed guitar, and so the D and G strings were rubbing against the center bar of the slot-head. No problem, I just loosened them and moved them over to the correct location, now there's no problem.

After Bloozeguy (I think??) mentioned that he was disappointed with the sanding on the head slots, I paid particular attention to that area....I'm a long time woodworker, so I am all about the finish details--no problems there.

My only disappointment is that Epiphone did not put a strap button on the heel of the neck. They did put a very nice gold colored strap button on the butt of the body (not an endpin, a metal strap button held in place with a screw), and it would have been nice to have a matching strap button on the neck, just to make sure that the two pieces matched, but this is a minor issue to me b/c I am considering having a UST type pickup installed and that will require an endpin jack, necessitating the services of a luthier to install that system. When I do that, I'll purchase a matching strap button, too. It would be nice if I can get them in gold to match the classy looking machine heads.

I do think that it will take me a bit of time to get use to the V-neck, it feels awkward, but I can certainly see how it might be great for playing fingerstyle....the thumb naturally migrates to the bass side of the neck, which allows a better "pinch" on the fretboard. I suspect a bit of playing time will make a big difference!

One of the things I like the best about it is that it does not have a pickguard. That is one of my pet peeves, I find it counterproductive to pay for a good, solid wood top and then have it turned into a laminate product by glueing on a pickguard. The tortoise-shell pickguard shown at one time on this model's webpage was attractive, and had mine arrived with one I would have left it intact so as to not take a chance on voiding the factory warranty, but it arrived sans pickguard, hallelujah for that!

The case (which the receipt lists as an "EMBADCS--Epiphone guitar case for DR Masterbilt", a dreadnought size guitar) fits it like a glove and says "Epiphone Masterbilt" in gold embroidery on the front of the book envelope on the top of the case. Very classy! In addition, the insides are very plush and the case even has a hygrometer on the inside, mounted into the top of the case in the area where the head fits. As an added bonus, there was even a humidifier in the storage area, looks for all the world just like the Planet Waves humidifier I had purchased for a different guitar.

The tones this guitar produces can best be described as "dripping with honey", for lack of a better description. I have two very expensive custom shop guitars with redwood soundboards, and I specifically spec'd redwood b/c I had heard that it gave the mellow tones of cedar with the ability to withstand vigorous picking without getting muddy like cedar does when overdriven. They sound much like a spruce top at times (when using a pick or fingernails) and like a nylon string at times (when using the pads of the fingers). This guitar has those honeyed tones I have come to love due to my 38 year history with cedar topped classical guitars, it literally drips with character! The top end is adequate without being overly bright, and I suspect that as the rosewood ages the balance will get even better. It will make an excellent bluegrass guitar due to the volume provided by the 12-fretter design (and, perhaps, the slope-shouldered Advanced Jumbo body size???). CTF is correct when he says the tones literally jump off the soundboard, the immediacy is startling, to say the least--the notes of a chord are all individually distinguishable, rather than getting all modulated together like on some guitars....needless to say, I'm very impressed!

I spoke to Mark earlier, if you are really interested in one of these, call him....he can't have the buyers call Epiphone unless he talks to you first...understandable!

I sincerely hope Epiphone hasn't really discontinued these, as it has some of the best tone I've ever heard from an out-of-the-box factory produced guitar (made in China, according to the label).

Tomorrow I'll take some time to take some photos and post them on this thread.....stay tuned, you'll like what you see O:) !

Dugly :D

Dugly,

Again, congratulations on your acquisition!

'Twarn't me on sanding the headstock.

I do have a question about your experience with the case. A minor point, but I'm curious. Mine doesn't sit level without the guitar in it. Makes for some awkward loading and unloading. This happens both when the side pocket is filled (and I keep a lot of my hardware--picks, slide, capos, harp rack, etc.) or even when it's empty. Like I said, just a minor qualm. The case itself is a thing of beauty with that embroidered Epi logo.

Dugly' date='

Again, congratulations on your acquisition!

'Twarn't me on sanding the headstock.

.[/quote']

T'wahr me. Just a minor quibble. The guitar sounds so beautiful, it could have splinters in the headstock slots and I don't think I'd mind. I can't get over how rich and distinctive this guitar sounds, how loud and dynamic it is, and how easy it is to play. My other Masterbilts (AJ 500R, AJ 500M, DR 500M) are good, but this in another league. Simply wonderful.

Dugly' date='

I do have a question about your experience with the case. A minor point, but I'm curious. Mine doesn't sit level without the guitar in it. Makes for some awkward loading and unloading. This happens both when the side pocket is filled (and I keep a lot of my hardware--picks, slide, capos, harp rack, etc.) or even when it's empty. Like I said, just a minor qualm. The case itself is a thing of beauty with that embroidered Epi logo.[/quote']

I haven't had any problems yet, but I must admit I haven't really had the guitar in the case since I got it. Does your case have these three little "pads" (small foot-like devices) on it:

102_2808.jpg

Here they are on the "butt" area of the case, too:

102_2810.jpg

I just "loaded" my case up, put the AJ into it, zipped it up and filled the side pocket with a 410 page "Fake Blues" song book, plus some downloaded stuff I already had in there, and it's stable on my fairly plush carpet and rock solid on the hard flooring, regardless of whether it's sitting on the side or the butt of the guitar, those little "feet" seem to give mine pretty good stability

T'wahr me. Just a minor quibble. The guitar sounds so beautiful' date=' it could have splinters in the headstock slots and I don't think I'd mind. I can't get over how rich and distinctive this guitar sounds, how loud and dynamic it is, and how easy it is to play. My other Masterbilts (AJ 500R, AJ 500M, DR 500M) are good, but this in another league. Simply wonderful.[/quote']

Sorry about that, Red, I guess my only defense is "....I've slept since then [-X ".....but I couldn't agree with you more, this model has a definite groove going for it in the sound department! I've only played one other Masterbilt, an EF500R model, and it played OK, but not like this one, and definitely did not have the tones this one has....and with all the interest in this model, I'm just perplexed why Epi would choose this one to discontinue. Maybe it is a "niche" piece, I can see it being right at home in a bluegrass band (CTF uses his in this manner!).

OK, guys and gals, I promised photos, so let's see if I can get them posted this time. I tried at about 2 AM this morning, spent about an hour uploading to Photobucket and composing the post, then hit "cancel" rather than "post"--at that point all I could do was pick the AJ up again and have another go at it, leaving the posting with the photos for later!

Starting with the case Bloozeguy mentioned, it's a very well padded gig-bag style case and the side pocket BG mentioned has a cool, gold embroidered "Epiphone Masterbilt" on the pocket--check it out:

102_2804-1.jpg

The case has a combination lock....I can't quite figure out how to set the combination, can anyone give me a tip?

102_2809.jpg

The guitar fits quite snugly in the case (which is listed on the Sweetwater invoice as "EMBADCS" Epiphone guitar case for DR Masterbilt). The case does hold a standard dreadnought size guitar, my Washburn WD32SW fits it just fine:

102_2805.jpg

And, as an added feature, there is a hygrometer built into the case's padded top, right up top where the head resides when in the case:

102_2806.jpg

The rosewood used on the back and sides is nicely grained:

102_2811.jpg

They used some pretty nice cedar for the soundboard, too (sorry for the flash glare):

102_2816.jpg

And, of course, here's that classic "slot-head" look that I can't resist:

102_2813.jpg

OK, guys & gals, someone welcomed me to the 12-fretter brotherhood a couple of days ago, and I promised a couple of photos of my other slot-headed 12-fretter, a Breedlove custom shop Revival 000 sized slot-headed 12-fretter. I had the pleasure of spec'ing this baby out from the get-go, from the choice of tonewoods (redwood sound board, ziricote sides and back) all the way down to the "pickguard delete" (yep, it should have one, Breedlove was only too happy to delete it at my request). First a view of the gorgeous ziricote wood that makes up the back of the guitar:

100_2448-1.jpg

And, of course, that which must be honored, the slot-head:

102_2483.jpg

Next, yet another honey-colored soundboard, this time redwood:

100_2438.jpg

Here's a shot of the guit from the front:

100_2437.jpg

I thought you might like to see this closeup, it highlights the incredible lutherie on the Breedlove, shows off the wood on the top (yes, it is the same guitar top, just under better light, sunlight) as well as the herringbone purfling and the Koa bindings, and features a shot of the incredible inlay work on the fretboard:

101_0784.jpg

And, finally, a particularly nice touch, a view of the butt of the guitar--this shows off more of the incredible lutherie as I chose the "master-grade" binding option and this is just an example of the fine workmanship (and, you can see that the sides are just as highly figured as the back of the guitar, ziricote is such an incredibly beautiful wood and has all the sound characteristics of Brazilian Rosewood:

100_2451.jpg

Of course, almost all classical guitars are slot-headed 12 fretters, so how about a view of the back of my Darren Hippner #506 Hauser model classical guitar, the back is one solid piece of rare Brazilian "Rio Jacaranda" Rosewood, taken from the beam of an old lodge:

102_2763.jpg

How about a view of the soundboard, again master-grade redwood:

102_2760.jpg

The sides are, like the Breedlove, as highly figured as is the back:

102_2762.jpg

The headplate, the bridge, and all the bindings are snakewood:

102_2761.jpg

And, finally, a shot of it full-on from the front:

102_2759.jpg

My thanks to all for putting up with this thread, and even more so all my peesign and moaning as I endured the long and disappointing wait for this dream to come true....as you can see, I have a thing for slot-headed 12-fretters (I have more, these were just the best of the bunch) and ever since I first saw the AJ500RC two years ago I KNEW I must have one....it's finally over, and the other two guitars you saw in this thread were purchased while I was chasing the Epiphone, but even those are some very nice guitars you can tell the GAS was not satisfied until I managed to get that beloved AJ!

Someone asked about a sound byte, well, I hope I can accommodate that request. AnnA (did you notice the signature on the King Tut painting?) is my SO and she has a digital camera with a microphone, will attempt to get some video of the Breedlove and the AJ while I am over at her house tonight/tomorrow. If I can figure out how to do it, as well as how to edit for YouTube, I'll post some links so you can get an idea of the sound of the AJ500RC, you'll see what I mean about tones dripping with honey (and, the cool thing is that you get those tones without playing the bejesus out of the guitar, a gentle hand works best!).

Be seein' ya around the forum, guys and gals, hope I can offer more than just caterwauling over my inability to get the guit I wanted.....excuse me, please, I have a date with a new slot-headed 12-fretter =P~ !!

OK, now that you've shown us your other slotheaders, you've gotta fill some of us in on the tonal qualities of ziricote and redwood. Me, I don't even know from ziricote at all.

That Breedelove has me drooling. I played one of their 00-000 sized 12-fretters once (I believe with a more prevalent wood combination, but maybe I should have looked closer) that ran a mere $2200. Unfortunately my 13 year old who was with me at the time didn't have the bread on him for me to take it away.

No excuse needed for your "p+m'ing" over your wait for your box. I enjoyed the review at the end.

OK' date=' now that you've shown us your other slotheaders, you've gotta fill some of us in on the tonal qualities of ziricote and redwood. Me, I don't even know from ziricote at all.

That Breedelove has me drooling. I played one of their 00-000 sized 12-fretters once (I believe with a more prevalent wood combination, but maybe I should have looked closer) that ran a mere $2200. Unfortunately my 13 year old who was with me at the time didn't have the bread on him for me to take it away.

[/quote']

The combination of those two tonewoods has led Breedlove to produce a standard stock model called "The Phoenix", a shallow concert size guitar which has won numerous awards. Here is a link to that guitar, street price is a bit over $4,000.00:

http://www.breedloveguitars.com/instruments/guitars/master_class/phoenix/index.php

Breedlove describes the sound quality as "smoky", a description I would endorse. However, what they don't mention is how versatile the tonewood combination is--it can produce different tones, depending on how you play it. If I play with a pick or with the fingernails, I get a "shimmer" like I have never heard before, if I play "classical style", with the pads of the fingertips rather than the nails, pushing the string downward toward the soundboard and releasing quickly, rather than "raking" the string like one would with a flat pick or finger pick, the tones are much like those created by my Hippner classical guitar....mellow, with an ability to display the expressivity we've all come to love about classical guitars. It really is the best of both worlds. The guitar's unique, beautiful voice can be heard on even the most delicately played fingerstyle stuff, and when I give it what-for with a pick, it never gets muddy, never sounds overdriven, and one of the characteristics of ziricote is that it is every bit as dense and rigid as Brazilian rosewood, so the bass tones are absolutely present, no "thinness" to the sound at all. I've taken this to a monthly bluegrass event in Pearl, TX the past few times I've been there, and you all know how Martin guitars seem to rule bluegrass....however, the Martin players all stop me and ask if they can play the Breedlove, they are all impressed with the sound it has, many of them even ask me if I couldn't just forget it as I leave......not a chance =D> .

The Breedlove, the new AJ500RC, and my Takamine 2005 LTD Edition are all going with me to Pearl this coming weekend. They are all different, different sizes, different playing styles, different sounds, but I enjoy passing my stuff around the circle so others can enjoy them, too...and, I enjoy hearing them played by others, the sound "out front" is different from what we get from above as we play our guitars.

I did manage to get some video with the AJ500RC this morning, but I must have hit the memory limit of the SD card as I was playing it, it just cut off about 3 songs before I was finished. If I can figure out how to upload it to Photobucket, I'll share that link so all y'all who don't have one can enjoy the tunes and tones.....

{edit--sorry, folks, the file was a bit over 7 minutes long, when I tried to upload it to Photobucket I got a notice that files have to be less than 100MB in size....no go this time, next time I'm at AnnA's I'll try again!}

Dugly,

Glad to see you got it, and that you are pleased. I thought you would be. =D>/ I'm taking mine with me to sing and pick at an "open mike" tonight.

I'm just the opposite as you though about the pick guard. If mine didnt have one I would have put one on. I just love the look with the old style pickguard it came with.

I wish I could help you with the combination lock, but I've never set mine. I'd call Epiphone or even a local guitar shop that sells Epi's.

Enjoy!!!!!!

CTF

Dugly' date='

Enjoy!!!!!!

CTF

I gotta tell ya, CTF, my cheeks are hurting from smiling so much!!! Thanks to you, CTF, and to Bloozeguy and Red333, all of you whose glowing reviews kept the GAS burning when it looked like there was no chance.....I'd have given up on this quest long ago had it not been for the glowing reviews you all provided. Now I see why!

One thing I failed to mention, when I tap on the back of the guitar, about midway on the lower bout, it resonates just like a drum-head. Does yours do this, too? None of my guitars, not even the Breedlove, do this, but then this is the only rosewood bodied guitar I own, unless some of my older Yamaha classical guitars are rosewood, but even if they are I doubt they are solid wood backs like this one is, they would be laminates. I have to wonder if that adds to that great "vibe" this model has???

CTF--when you play yours at the open-mic nights, do you have them mic the guitar or do you have a pickup installed in yours? I notice that the open-mic venues I frequent have much better sound when the guits can be plugged right into their open-mic system, they sound a bit less "precise" (for lack of a better term) when they are mic'd. I'd like to take this one and play it at open-mic nights, but so far I've only used my Takamine A/E b/c it's the only one I have with electronics installed.....

can you post some youtube-age? i'd like to hear one. i'm kind of interested now!

Just finished posting about 7 minutes of stuff on YouTube' date=' cunkhead.....the lighting was terrible, everything in the room, including me, is blue, so I hope that doesn't make you sick, and after playing guitar for 38 years, it amazes me how getting in front of a camera can strip me of 37 years of experience. I played like a beginner, but I didn't post these to impress anyone with my playing, just to give my friends here on the forum a bit of a peek at the sound from this guitar.

I'll work on getting some better performances on YT soon, I don't have a digital camera with a mic so I have to use one at a friend's house.....

So, here's how to find them, go to YouTube and do a search with the keywords " [b']Dugly[/b]" "Epiphone" "AJ500RC" "soundbytes"--if that doesn't work, let me know and I'll return to this post and add the links. I tried to hid them as well as I could O:) !

So' date=' here's how to find them, go to YouTube and do a search with the keywords " [b']Dugly[/b]" "Epiphone" "AJ500RC" "soundbytes"--if that doesn't work, let me know and I'll return to this post and add the links. I tried to hid them as well as I could 8-[ !

Very nice, YerDugliness!

O:) O:) =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

I like that cap, by the way.

Red 333

Very nice' date=' YerDugliness!

O:) O:) =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

I like that cap, by the way.

Red 333[/quote']

Thanks for that, Red! I posted a few with my Breedlove, too, and one of the Breedlove forum members suggested that "The Blue Dugly's" might just be a good name for a band.....I liked that!

The BlueDugly =D>

Dugly,

>>>>>"One thing I failed to mention, when I tap on the back of the guitar, about midway on the lower bout, it resonates just like a drum-head. Does yours do this, too? None of my guitars, not even the Breedlove, do this, but then this is the only rosewood bodied guitar I own, unless some of my older Yamaha classical guitars are rosewood, but even if they are I doubt they are solid wood backs like this one is, they would be laminates."<<<<

I never have tried that before, but I went and tried it. Sure enough...it does.

>>>>>CTF--when you play yours at the open-mic nights, do you have them mic the guitar or do you have a pickup installed in yours? I notice that the open-mic venues I frequent have much better sound when the guits can be plugged right into their open-mic system, they sound a bit less "precise" (for lack of a better term) when they are mic'd. I'd like to take this one and play it at open-mic nights, but so far I've only used my Takamine A/E b/c it's the only one I have with electronics installed....."<<<<<<

I've always just played into the mike whenever I play out at a booking or something. I have an acoustic with a good EQ installed...my Alvarez-Yairi in my sig...but when I've used it it was playing through an amp. I've never had the experience of plugging into a sound system.

By the way, the wood grain on the back of your Breedlove is AWESOME!!!! Just beautiful.

CTF

Hey there Dugly,

I went to your Youtube vids to hear your AJ500RC. Sounds GREAT! It sounds as good as mine, from what I can tell on the video. Plenty of volume, great tone, etc. And I really like the song for your daughter. I'll bet that one is your favorite. Hey, and you're a fine picker! You did a real good job.

And get this. We just did a duet together. On your 1st Breedlove video...after you started I kinda liked what you were doing, so I grabbed my guitar, turned you up a bit, and played with you for most of the song. Mostly putting in some lead licks and fills, but chording with you as well. We sounded good together...I just wish you could have heard it! ha ha!

I like fingerstyle guitar. Years ago I played it a whole lot, and even recorded some home made CDs. After a while I shifted into bluegrass, "flatpicking" and added the dobro, but I still play fingerstyle sometimes here at home. Its a very relaxing style of playing.

CTF

Archived